Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply at growth spurt

Default Supply at growth spurt

Hello,
    I think my son is going through his 3 mo growth spurt. He is 11 weeks today. The other night he slept from 11:30 pm - 7 am and I was surprised in the morning that my breasts did not feel very full. Since then he's been nursing every 2 hours or so for the past couple days and I haven't ever felt very 'full'. He still seems to get what he needs and is on exclusively breastmilk. Is this cause for concern or does it sound normal for the frequency that he's eating? This is around the time that my first son and I had to stop nursing due to a variety of issues so I want to make sure this time around my supply does not become an issue.

Thanks

Default Re: Supply at growth spurt

As long as your baby is continuing to produce a normal amount of diapers and is being nursed on demand, I see no reason to worry. At first, most moms overproduce milk, and all the extra milk means that they feel full pretty often, particularly if the baby suddenly skips a few feedings in a row (i.e. sleeps through the night). But our bodies are smart, and they generally don't overproduce for long because it's a waste of energy and puts a mom at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. Our bodies also have smart internal clocks, which means that we can be trained to make more milk when it's required, and less when it's not.

Basically, it sounds like your supply is now just right for baby's needs, and your body knows to not go crazy producing a ton of milk at night, when your baby is sleeping for a long stretch. If you're still worried, watch diaper output- as long as that continues to be normal, you know baby is getting plenty of milk. And I f diaper output is normal and even then you're still concerned, don't be afraid to add in a nighttime dream feed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Supply at growth spurt

Thanks alot. Definitely fine with the diapers and yes on demand. Has been every couple hours during the day and every 3 last night (despite the longer sleep the night before). I had started a probiotic on Monday (for my own needs) but my understanding is that that could only help (not hinder) milk supply. Hoping this frequency and the lack of good naps, fussiness subsides in a couple days and will assume it's all part of the growth process as he has no other issues. Thanks again and feel free to add any more comments if I touched on something you've heard before.