Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply issues after surgery and stress

Default Supply issues after surgery and stress

I went for surgery on the 20th of Sept to get my gall bladder removed. I tried stock piling and was able to get 6 6 oz bottles saved up and I got a sample can of formula just in case. I ended up having to use that sample and since then he has at least 1-2 bottles of formula a day. I tried to do my usual pumping the day pf surgery but that was too ambitious. I was lucky to pump 10 minutes before needing to lay down and sleep. I wasn't able to hold him to nurse either. Over the next few days I was struggling to get my supply back up.

Now since the 7th of October I've been having to take care of our 3 yr old our 8 month old and my husband. He had an infection in his toe and not even 24 hrs since it started (we thought it was just a hang nail) I took him to emergency. They cut the skin on either side of his big toe and sent him home with only pain meds and no antibiotics. \not even 2 days after that I took him back to emerg because it didn't look right and they ended up taking off the whole toe nail and started him on IV antibiotics. SO then we had to go everyday for IV therapy. after a week there they sent him for a bone scan and found out that the infection had gone into the bone and he would need to continue the IV therapy for 5 weeks.

So he got a PICC line inserted and got enrolled into the home program. Well I am the one who gives him his IV antibiotic at home every day. Plus take him in 3 days a week to get his dressings on the toe changed and once a week for blood work. Did I mention we don't have a car? SO I get to borrow a friends car that I get to walk to go and pick up (this seems to be the only "me" time I get to have) Near the end of this treatment he will go in for another bone scan to see how it is and they may say he is good to go or that he needs to continue the IV therapy. Apparently they can treat bone infections for up to 3 months.

Obviously there has been a lot of stress going on and I am the one that bares it. I really don't have any help. My pumping sched has been mucked up because of all the appointments and how long they sometimes take. The emergency trips left me no pumping/nursing for 7 hrs and I would see the affects of it the few days to follow. I want to get him off the bottles of formula, they don't even seem to be adding any weight to him like what the dietician thought anyways. The beginning of sept he was 15lbs 2 oz and on the 28th of sept he was 15 lbs 11 oz. He was 7 months at that point and still hadn't doubled in weight. I'm taking him in to get weighed sometime this week. I don't know where or how many pumping sessions I should do in a day anymore or how I can find the time. His family isn't helping with anything and my mom is working so she can only help out like an hr before starting and when she is done. And for some reason my friends have just vanished. I feel so drained.
    Last edited by @llli*faceofshadow; October 30th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.

Default Re: Supply issues after surgery and stress

I'm so sorry you're going through this. When it rains, it pours, eh?

I sounds to me like the biggest issue here is getting some help. I don't understand why you're doing the IV antibiotics and then having to take him elsewhere to get the dressing changed. I'm not sure what province you're in, but I know that here in Ontario, CCAC is more than capable of handling those treatments at home, and can even arrange for bloodwork to be drawn at home. I think that if you contact the case manager for your husband's account and explain the situation, they should be able to make some alternate arrangements. Be insistent if you have to. It doesn't always make people happy, but the squeaky wheel does often get the grease!

As for the formula and whatnot, I don't have a lot of experience there. All I can do is refer you to the kellymom page on weaning from supplements http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    Is the baby back to nursing straight from the breast now? If you don't need to stockpile for surgery anymore, would you be able to ditch the pump and just nurse? That sounds a lot easier to me, and would probably help your supply more so than pumping.

Good luck mama. Hang in there!

with the PP.

One thing that can be really hard is to ask for help. But in this situation... Can you ask your friend to drive the car down to you, and then you drive the friend back to her house? And can you reach out and ask people for help? Say that you need someone to drive your DH to his appointments, at the very least. Because you need to care for your kid, and you can't be running back and forth getting cars and being the chauffeur.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also had my gall bladder removed after giving birth to my twins - and even without the stress you're under I saw a dip in my supply. It took about 2 weeks for it to right itself but the more I worried, the worse it got. It did come back though. And I agree with everyone else - you need help. Take any help anyone offers. Stress and breastfeeding is so tough!!

I am not sure either. I think it might be because I refuse to change his dressings. I'm not usually bothered by blood or anything but this toe looks like it came from one of the Saw movies, and i just cant bring myself to look at it let aline touch it. I think it is because there is nothing I can do to help him. We live in BC so I will definitely look into that!

I think I have been pretty vocal about needing help. I will talk to his mom on the phone and ahe will make comments about how exhausted I sound. I will say yeah because I am doing everything on my own by myself, with no help. Finally yesterday she said she will take our oldest for the day next week. His brother lives 2 blocks away and any time I ask him to come and watch them or to do something he always sounds so reluctant to even do it. Last time he was here I asked him to take the garbage out for me because it was too heavy and he looked at me with this face and said "really". No one even offers any help with anything. Some people are just useless I guess.

Atleast at the end of all of this I get the title of "supermom", lol.

Here's a site that I found that has the list of 'CCAC equivalents' in provinces other than Ontario http://www.centralwesthealthline.ca/...rossCanada.pdf

Definitely call and explain your situation. Hopefully they can at least help out with your husband's health care needs, so you can at least focus a little more on your own health and on your kids!

And yeah, some people just don't get it Since it sounds like it's your husband's family that's reluctant to help, would they be more supportive if the request was coming from him? Ie 'mom, I really feel like we need the help around the house right now' -making it sound like you're a team, and it's not just YOU that needs help right now, but the whole family?