Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby 10 months / production decrease normal?

Default baby 10 months / production decrease normal?

Hello all, Amy Po here again... thank goodness for this forum as there aren't any LLL meetings in my area!
    My son is just over 10 months old and has been exclusively breast-fed, plus we've done BLW since he was about 7 months. Ive been back to work and pumping since he was 3 months old. I used to pump 20 oz a day (over 3 sessions) but this has slowly been decreasing, to the point that now I only get 15 oz and that is with a 4th pumping session after DS goes to bed. He is now eating regular foods pretty well; he grabs pieces of veggies and fruits and stuffs them in his mouth (last night he was grabbing fistfuls of my tuna pot pie and couldn't get enough). My question is, do I need to be worrying that I'm losing production at this stage? I'm really sick of the pump and this late-night 4th session doesn't seem to be doing much but making me tired.

I should also note that he nurses a lot at night still. I rock & nurse him to sleep, put him in his crib where he sleeps until about 4am and then we bedshare after that for the rest of the night, so I know he is getting a decent amount of milk then.

The other question I have is: Could it be my pump? I have a medela pump n style that was given to me brand-new, but I've used the heck out of it. I'm willing to get another one if it means never giving in to formula, but I also am hesitant to spend that kind of money on something that I'm hopefully not going to be using much longer. (I hope to breastfeed until he's at least 2, but I need to pump-wean at work a lot sooner than that.) Thanks in advance to everyone for feedback!

Default Re: baby 10 months / production decrease normal?

How long are you at work each day? 15 oz would be about right for a 10 hour separation from your baby.

It's very common for moms to experience a decrease in pump amounts towards the end of the first year. The baby may be taking in more solids, leading to somewhat decreased nursing and consequently lowered supply. Or the pump may be giving out after months of heavy use. I wouldn't go out and buy a new Pump in Style- you just have 2 months to go and then you can start using cow's milk at daycare and contemplating pump weaning, if you so choose- but it might be time to rehab the pump. Get new tubing. Make sure the motor is in tip-top shape. Maybe try a different size of shields. A lot of moms find that their size changes as time goes on.

If new tubing and a rehabbed motor is enough to get you more milk, awesome. If not, I would just soldier on with that 4 the pumping session for another couple of months. I know it makes you tired!!! Just keep telling yourself that you only need to make it 2 more months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I have almost exactly a 10 hour separation including commuting. I'll pick up new tubing today and keep pressing on with the 4th session. How do I check or rehab the motor?

I think you need to contact Medela. I've actually never done it, myself, but a lot of moms here have and if you can't figure it out someone here surely can steer you in the right direction.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"