Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Carb Diet and Supply

Default Low Carb Diet and Supply

Good morning!

Due to gastrointestinal issues, I recently switched to a low carb diet. It's done great things for my tummy, but my supply is taking a big hit.

DS is 11 months and still very attached to nursing. Does anyone have any ideas to help me keep my supply while staying away from grains and high sugar content foods? I would very much appreciate the insight.

~ ConnectiKate

Default Re: Low Carb Diet and Supply

can you eat potatoes? In my experience carbs help my supply so until you don't care about your milk supply I'd avoid any really radical diets. I don't think you need refined sugar but potatoes, brown rice and oatmeal can all help as well as just having enough calories in general.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yes, I can do potatoes in moderation. I could probably sneak in 1/2 C brown rice sometimes, too. Just no wheat, oatmeal, beans, corn, millet or other starchy grains or legumes.

If I eat the recommended 2000 calories from other sources, will my supply come back or is it entirely dependent on carbohydrates?

It's not entirely dependent on carbs, no, but you need to eat some, IME. I'm off wheat and corn and that's fine but eating some potatoes and br. rice will, I think, help you. Don't go lower than 2000 cals, for sure.

I agree, 2000 cals from high quality foods...as in veggies, fruits, meats, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, eggs, nuts, avocado is high in calories, etc and you should be all set, right?

However, I went on a similar diet although it was incredibly restrictive, and my supply did go down a bit. I was off corn, soy, eggs, nuts, dairy for about 6 weeks. Luckily I don't need the diet any more, because it was a struggle for me to get calories. I ate a jar of coconut oil per week and still lost weight! Good luck!
    and Mama to two little girls

I'm off nuts, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, dairy, too.

You may want to try doing a paleo type diet ( still low carb since you eat minimal grains and sugar).
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I would say that I am following a mainly Paleo style diet (except for cream in my morning cup of coffee-it's the only thing I can't bring myself to part with!). After upping the potato (sweet and regular) intake, my supply is rebounding. I also plan to grab some avocados to add to my salads when I hit the grocery store this weekend. And my tummy still feels much better, so I feel like it's a win-win. Greatly appreciate the guidance and support!!

great!