My daughter is 17 months old and breastfeeds about 4x/day (after daycare, bedtime, overnight and upon waking).
I just got back from the dentist where I had an "occlusal adjustment" done. Basically, the dentist is trying to correct some sensitivity I'm having in my teeth by adjusting my bite by grinding a little bit of material off of my teeth. He used the drill for 3 or 4 seconds at a time maybe 8 or so times on 3 or 4 different teeth. I know one place he used the drill was a porcelain crown and one place was on my actual tooth. Then, at one point he said to the assistant something about an amalgam filling and I asked and it turns out he was drilling on an amalgam filling in my mouth. Like I said, he probably drilled for 3 or 4 seconds on it, maybe once or twice.
I have read on Kellymom that it's good to avoid getting amalgams removed or replaced while breastfeeding because it can release significant mercury vapors and if you do, they should use copious water, extra high suction and an oxygen mask so you don't breathe the vapors. I didn't have any of these. The assistant did have the regular suction going in the neighborhood of the drill but that is it.
I told the dentist that I am breastfeeding and he said that he wouldn't worry, there is no reason to think that dangerous levels of mercury vapors would have been released. But then he said that if he had known I was breastfeeding (it's in my chart, I am sure, but I did not remind him at this appointment) he wouldn't have done it on that tooth. So that of course made me very worried. He said that if I am worried, I could avoid breastfeeding tonight. My understanding is that it would take much longer than a few hours.
I'm not sure what to do. I have seen lots of info online about removing amalgam fillings but nothing about a few seconds of drilling. I called InfantRisk but no answer (??). I have a call into my daughter's pediatrician's office but I don't expect the nurses there will have a great answer for me although hopefully I am wrong about that.
What a stupid situation. I know there are some wise mamas here who will know what the best thing to do is...
On a somewhat related note, I was also going to take my daughter for a flu shot today and I must admit I am still a little confused about mercury in flu shots. My impression is that if it is a single dose pre-loaded syringe (which I believe is what they are using; I got my flu shot at the same clinic a couple of weeks ago and it was that) then they have no preservatives and therefore no mercury. I normally wouldn't worry so much about it but I don't want her to have a dose of mercury due to my dental work that is compounded by another dose through a flu shot!! I hope that makes sense.
Thanks for any advice.