Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow pump weaning?

Question Slow pump weaning?

Hi there!

I just started a new job and with that took the opportunity since my DS will be 13 months on Wednesday to drop a pump sesh. At first, for about 2 days, my body was still producing over two bottles worth, so we were still giving a small sippy cup (10 oz total for 2 sessions). Now we are at 4 or just under 4 oz each pump session(about 8 oz per day). I'm a little worried (call me ms. cautious) because in the early months I had a LOT of trouble with supply and slow or blocked let down, and even though things have been fine in the pump output department for the last 5 months, I still consider myself sensitive to even small changes and I guess I am fearful that dropping a session will start to reduce my supply overall.
    I've heard many of you state that pump weaning at a year was successful, but then I read a recent post by LLL Leader Meg offering her skepticism about that process. I'm wondering if any of you have had an adverse reaction to pump weaning and could share your stories. In any event, I'm going to take it slow and stick with 2 sessions for now. I'd only go back up to three if I felt I wasn't making enough in two. He does eat lots of solids, totally on table food primarily and seems to have a bottomless tummy so not worried about him being underfed with less milk! I do know he does not appreciate drinking much other than my milk, the occasional smoothie but I haven't tried any other types of milk since he nurses enough and gets enough pumped milk that he doesn't need it yet.

Default Re: Slow pump weaning?

UPDATE: After the weekend (this morning) just pumped 5 oz again so I think the frequent weekend nursing brought it back up.

I pump-weaned a couple of weeks after my DD turned one. She's 17 mo now and she still nurses at night (many times!) and also when I am at home for nap time.

She is definetely not ready for weaning. I tried to wean her about a month or so ago and it was a total failure. She just asks for it at night, she wakes up frequently at night. So we are still night nursing.

However, I do know my supply is really low, so she doesn't really get much when she does nurse. If you're ok with pumping longer, that's fine... at the end is your decision. I pump-weaned because I was tired of pumping at work and I knew my DD was not interested in nursing during the day at all, except for maybe nap time, so I was not going to change her routine, nor I was going to affect her nutrition at that age... and she's been fine, never fussed.

Maybe other will share stories too... good luck

[QUOTE=@llli*leemami;1325325] I pump-weaned because I was tired of pumping at work and I knew my DD was not interested in nursing during the day at all, except for maybe nap time, so I was not going to change her routine QUOTE]

With me, I actually don't mind pumping. Maybe it's the sense that I'm doing something for him during the day to counteract the ambivalence I'm experiencing around working. He's at home with my husband and we're making great sacrifices financially and professionally to make this happen but it feels like the best fit for now. But sometimes I'm sad I'm not the one at home (I have much more earning potential with my master's degree).

Also, my DS loves nursing and loves his milk still! Cutting him off while I'm gone seems odd. He nurses still 6 or 7 times during the day on weekends not including nights (that varies depending on his sleep schedule).

Thanks for your response. It's helping me make some decisions. I guess I'm not in a super big rush to pump wean.

Well, I don't have any advice--just that I too am not rushing to pump wean at a year. I really don't feel like it's right for us yet. So I'll be dropping a session at the year point, but taking it slowly from there. I do not have an abundant or particularly responsive supply, and I also have a baby who nurses pretty much every 90 minutes. I'm not ready to risk a big drop off right now!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!