Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sippy cup

Default Sippy cup

My son is 10 months old, and goes to daycare while I work (5 days a week). He takes 3 bottles at daycare. I've been interested in transitioning him from a bottle to a straw cup or sippy cup. His daycare woman wants him to get used to drinking milk from the straw cup at home first before she does it there, which I understand. The issue is that he is exclusively breastfed at home, and I only ever nurse him and never give a bottle. He's been using the straw cup for about a month, and loves drinking water from it. But I'm just not sure if he'll drink 4-5 oz of milk out of it instead of the bottle. My question is- should I just pump one weekend and practice giving him the straw cup with milk? Or take a different route?

The other issue with this plan is that I'm not pumping enough as it is. I generally pump about 11 oz (give or take) at work, and the daycare is asking for 15 oz (3- 5 oz bottles). So I'd rather not use even more of my freezer stash. (Side note- does amount of milk seem reasonable for a 10 month old? Or should I be arguing with her to go back to 4 oz bottles?)

Default Re: Sippy cup

I don't think there's any need to hurry the transition from bottle to straw cup. If your baby is comfortably taking a bottle at daycare, let him continue. He's not even a year old yet, and it's more important than he gets his milk than that he get it in a certain type of container.

I definitely wouldn't pump and offer straw cups all weekend long to hurry this transition. Especially when you're already struggling to get enough milk. The pump isn't as good at emptying you out as the baby is, and frequent and thorough milk removal is what builds and maintains supply.

How long as you at work each day? 15 oz might be appropriate, if you're gone about 10 hours.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess there's no need to rush.

As for work, I'm gone for 9 hours from the time I leave to when I pick him up. But he hasn't seemed hungry when we get home anymore. I've tried reducing them to 4.5 oz this week to see if that works.

Can you get the DCP to offer a 3-4 oz bottle as the last bottle of the day? You want him hungry when you're reunited. If he's hungry he'll nurse more, and more nursing will mean better supply for you, and better supply will mean you'll have an easier time providing those bottles the DCP wants.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good idea, I'll try that. There's a little language barrier with our DCP, and she doesn't seem to understand why I don't want them feeding him right before I get there. She knows I breastfeed so I don't know why she has such a hard time understanding my requests. I'll try sending a smaller last bottle tomorrow and see how that works.

My then 10.5 mo old son simply up and decided one day at day care that he did not want his milk out of the bottle, and instead wanted it out of the sippy or straw cup. Like you, we had been giving him water out of straw cup for a few months prior, and he seemed fine with the transition off the bottle. it took about 1-2 weeks for him to work through the transition and i was very happy to pack away all the bottle supplies! Can you ask your DCP to simply give one 'meal' a day in the cup (maybe lunch if he's starting to eat solids?), and just plan to have a bottle as back-up in case he refuses?

Side note, our transition off the bottle accompanied a reduction in his milk needs (16.5 oz/day down to 12) AND my pumping output slowed down. I think it was due to his solid food intake increasing along with the cup flow. We BF on demand on nights/weekends and at 28 lbs, he is definitely getting plenty of milk feeds outside of daycare! also we did baby led weaning and his solid intake was much slower than most of his classmates. he didn't start 'eating' meals until 9.5 months at daycare.

good luck mamma!