Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain

Default weight gain

I'm a first time mom hoping to exclusivly breastfeed my daughter. When she was born she was 7lbs 3ozs. She went down to 6lbs 11ozs and maintained that weight until her first weight check at 1 week. The pedi was concerned because she was not yet back to her birth weight and recommended that I offer both breasts to my baby and that I supplement with formula. Insted I called a lactation consultant who told me some other things I coud try (breast compression, making sure that I'm correctly using the nipple shield (my nipples are flat so the nurses/lactation consultants in the hospital had me use a shield), and nurse every two hours). I tried all these things except for supplementing with formula, and my daughter was up to 6lbs 15ozs 3 days after her first weight check. The pedi just told me to keep doing what I am doing. We went back again for another weight check about 5 days later and she was at 7lbs and 2ozs. They again told me to supplement and they told me if I do not then I could slow her brain development. So I guess my question is should I be concerned about her slower than average weight gain? I truely feel like she is healthy. After most feedings she seems content. She has at least 8 wet and 3 dirty diapers everyday. I am 5' 2'' and was 113lbs before baby, so maybe she is just a smaller person too.

Default Re: weight gain

Congratulations on your new baby!

Do you get the overall impression that your ped is pro breastfeeding? Some say they are but then are pretty quick to dismiss it if there are any bumps in the road. You should feel comfortable and confident in your choice to BF, and your baby's ped should support you, if you don't feel you are getting that- maybe shop around for a new ped? Just make sure your LO still gets seen on schedule.

Have you looked into joining a BF support group? Besides being great for support and helpful tips- they will also weigh LO every week so that you can track weight gain and feel more confident.

I too have 'flat nipples'. With a little help in the latch department from a good LC, you should be able to nurse without a shield without any problems. Getting rid of the shield will just make nursing a little easier for you. And let me tell you, after nursing a baby for twenty minutes- the nipple doesn't come out looking too flat!

I too make petite babies, have consistently been between >5%-10%- that' just who they are- but they grew on my breast milk alone. I'm just glad I had a ped who was pro breast milk-- makes all the difference! Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!
    Overall I think the group is pro breastfeeding, but because her weight gain is not matching up with what their charts say she should be at they are suggesting supplementing. She has seen a different pedi each visit. I started my pedi search way too late and my baby was born before I had one picked out, so I've just been going to this group near my home until I find one elsewhere that I like. They also said I could pump and supplement with my breastmilk, but I was confused on how to do that when shes nursing on both sides every 1-2 hours during the day and every 2-4h hours at night. I'm scared that she would want to nurse right after I pump and I wouldn't have any milk left for her.

I hadn't thought of going to a group, but that is a great idea. I think that would help a ton.

Yes I have been wanting to get rid of the shield! I think going to a group would be helpful with that because they could help me latch her on.

All throughout my pregnancy I had nightmares that I was unable to breastfeed my baby. It was terrible! I'm determined to do everything I can to successfully breastfeed her!

Have you seen this article?

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

It sounds like you've hit the mark of baby regaining birth weight withing two weeks. So you definitely are feeding your baby and doing a great job!

I'm not a pumper myself. But I do know some mums pump one breast while nursing baby on the other. I hope there is another mother on this forum that can give you some good tips for pumping. And the more you nurse or pump, the more your milk supply will increase to meet the demand.

Make sure that you are getting what you need to make great breast milk! Eat and eat well- it takes more for your body to make this milk than it needed to fuel the last months of your pregnancy. So eat a full and well balanced diet. Drink plenty of water or juice or milk. Whatever you like, just make sure you are staying hydrated. Keep taking your vitamins. And get as much sleep as you can. Haha- right?! But seriously, sleep when baby sleeps. Don't worry about anything else- let the laundry and housework go.

Make this your breast feeding holiday where you pretty much do nothing but breast feed the baby. Cancel any non essential activities and just keep the baby at the breast.

If it's feasible, get an LC to do a home visit soon even if it is just to get you feeling confident. And definitely join a group- they are great!

I am not sure why your doc freaked out over baby not regaining birthweight by 1 week. The benchmark is for a baby to regain birthweight by the second week, not the first.

Has baby always been weighed on the same scale, in the nude?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It took her 3 weeks to get to 7lbs 2ozs and when she was born she was 7lbs 3ozs. The past two times it has been the same scale with a naked baby.

My first week breastfeeding her I was just feeding her one side. Thats what they told me to do in the hospital and she would always fall asleep during a feeding so I figured she was getting enough. They also never showed me how to correctly use the nipple shield so I was using it incorrectly for a whole week!

Now that we're feeding more often, nursing both sides, using the shied correctly and using breast compression she has been slowly but steadily gaining weight (about an ounce per day).

Okay, an ounce a day is excellent gain! Sounds like you got off to a slow start, but now you're on track. I wouldn't see cause for concern if this were my baby. Does your pediatrician still want you to supplement? And if so, why? I mean, an ounce per day is perfect.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Yeah they want me to supplement still. I guess they were expecting her to magicly catch up to where she would have been without her slow start. I can tell just by looking at her and holding her that shes growing, and she is doing new things so she is developing. We're supposed to go back on Wednesday for another weight check.

It sounds that way to me, too. I would emphasize that baby is now gaining an oz per day and see what their response is. It should be good. If not... Then it may be time to find a new pediatrician for a second opinion.

For the record, my first daughter also had a slow start. But she grew and developed just fine once we got nursing sorted out. She's 7 and a half now, and believe me, her development was not slowed down one bit!

Yea I'm searching for a bf friendly pedi now. I also made an appointment with a lactation consultant to make sure we're doing everything correctly and to get some direction on how to loose the nipple shield.