Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Not Napping!

Red face Baby Not Napping!

Hi Friends,
    Another concern I have is that my LO does not nap during the day only on my breast after feeding. If I feed her and try to put her down she'll wake
    up shortly after I put her down.
    What type of schedule do you have for naps? How long should babies be up for and nap for?
    She wakes up to eat at 7:30 a.m till 8:00 and then sleeps till 9:00. After that she's up from 10 am until 10 at night and only sleeping after every feeding in my arms. What am I doing wrong????

Default Re: Baby Not Napping!

I'm not sure that you're doing anything wrong, as this was/is the same situation I am in with my daughter. She would wake up frequently when I put her down, didn't nap well at all, and honestly, still doesn't.

All I can tell you is to keep trying. I used to swaddle her, which really helped, and also sit next to her bassinet/crib until I knew that she was settled.

HTH, and believe me, I can totally relate!!!

Update. She can now nap for 10-15 minutes after I nurse her. But the best naps she still takes are in my arms or next to me in bed after nursing. I'm hoping she'll stretch out her naps.

Best bet, get a wrap or sling. Some babies just aren't ready to be away from their Mommy AT ALL at this young age. So if you have a sling or wrap , you can move around and get stuff done and generally the baby WILL sleep longer because the lull of being walked around mimics the feeling of being in your womb....

Way too lazy for formula

I don't know how old your baby is but my son didn't nap at all during the day for the first 10-12 weeks of his life. He wanted to be held or nursed constantly. He only slept at night, but only if he was in my bed. He still woke up several times to nurse but thats normal. He began taking naps consistently in a.m and afternoon starting around four months of age. I just think some babies need constant contact more when they are little. Definetely try a sling because that will help you out. Unfortunately my son hated swaddling and slings. I think he had negative flash backs to the tight fit in the womb (he was 10lbs 3oz).

nap!? whats that? I just do things that require one hand, so i can tote my ds everywhere. he's 6 weeks.

Smile Re: Baby Not Napping!

I had the exact same problem with DS - he would happily sleep in my arms after each nursing, but wake up as soon as I tried to move him into his crib. This resulted in long periods of me just sitting on the couch or in bed not able to move, looking around the room at all of the things I could be doing (dishes, laundry, shower etc.).

I decided to purchase a swing seat, and tried a new method of putting him into the swing as soon as he had finished nursing and had been burped. He woke up at first, and for about 5 minutes sat in the swing seat softly fussing until he finally fell asleep, and slept for 3 hours! This works a charm every time now, and I can't imagine life without the swing seat. In fact, he's in there right now!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Best bet, get a wrap or sling.
    Oh my my sling is a lifesaver.!
    DD can nap nicely in it and I dont feel like i cant ever get anything done.

She generally takes 2-3 naps a day then bedtime @ 7:30.
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Uggh! I am having the same problem, but I thought it was because of her reflux. My LO is 4 weeks old and I hoped that this would be over soon.

She sleeps in the co-sleeper at night (sometimes, other than that, she sleeps in bed with me). During the day, she only sleeps if I hold her. If I put her down, she is up in 10 min. I sit in the same chair ALL day. I watch the Today show, Martha, The View... anything to pass the time. I am losing brain cells quickly! I am also losing muscle! I went to the store the other day and the small amount of walking I did made me sore. Oh so sad.

Good to hear that I am not alone. I am going to try the swing trick. She also hates to be swadled and isn't very fond of the baby carrier.

Another day goes by...

Tina

Smile Re: Baby Not Napping!

Maya is still only napping with me only and the only positive thing these past two weeks is that she can now stay in her swing for 20 minutes at the most. This at least gives me time to run around the house trying to do some housework and most importantly in the kitchen trying to get something to eat.
    She just stares at me for a while not even paying attention to her swing fishes/music and then that's it she wails for me to pick her up.
    But at least I got 20 minutes. I'll take that right now!

About the sling, she hates the Native brand. It was so expensive too. I'll try it again but I'm going to look for a different style. I sooooo wish she would like the sling.