Re: Baby refuses breast every night.. About to give up! Help
You're not hurting him by nursing him, mama!!! I know it's hard not to think that when you're dealing with colicky crying. Those cries are so heart-rending, and as moms we are conditioned to think that everything our babies do is somehow our responsibility and that if the baby is crying, we much be able to fix it. But with colic... Nope. Not your fault. And not your fix, either. You just have to wait for baby to grow out of it.
When you're coping with colic, you want to try changing the baby's sensory inputs. Here are some things to try:
- calm house- lights, TV, and stereo down or off
- white noise- dryer sounds, radio static, breath/heartbeat sounds
- motion- rock in rocker, swinging, stroller ride, etc.
- closeness- cuddle baby in a sling or skin-to-skin
- fresh air- take baby outside or just over to a window
- warm bath- in the sink or in the tub with you
- nurse as much as baby will accept
When you're coping with colic, nothing is going to work for long. So when one calming technique fails, enlist another.
Stay strong, mama! This is temporary. It sucks, but it's temporary.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"