Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12 week old baby has green poos and fusses at breast

Default Re: 12 week old baby has green poos and fusses at breast

We typically give her the night bottle at 10 pm and she usually falls asleep around 11pm and sleeps until 7.30-8 am.
    My breasts are VERY full in the morning, so I guess there is a lot of foremilk there! Do you think pumping some of it away before I feed her could help?
    So, that is 9-10 hours baby mostly sleeping without eating, and even a longer time, without either breastfeeding or pumping. Do I have that right?

So, this kind of a sleep stretch with no awakening is very unusual for a 12 week old baby, and actually would be unusual for any child under 3 or 4 years old! More typically, after about this age-3 months, some babies start sleeping 'through the night' which means 5 hours at once. Some. certainly not all.

If your baby were sleeping this long without getting a nighttime bottle, and also no nighttime pacifier, and no swaddling, and sleeping near you (in the same room if not same bed) and baby was sleeping this long, and baby was gaining well and happy, it would probably just be normal for your baby to sleep so long. But I would probably say, “look out, this will not last long!”

But since baby IS getting a bottle, and maybe some of these other 'sleep lengthening" techniques, AND this is a very long stretch, almost twice the longest that is normal for this age, and baby is fussy during the day, and you are so full in the morning, this all spells trouble to me. Maybe not YET, but, eventually.

I DO NOT think your milk production has been negatively affected, as in, lowered, not yet, not judging from what you have said. And if it has, yes of course it is reversible. The way you reverse production that has gone down due to not nursing frequently enough is to nurse baby more often and stop having such a long stretch of time at night with no nursing. It is too long. Babies normally require nutrition overnight. This may also explain why baby still needs to nurse very frequently during the day. (but again that could just be normal)

Make sense?

just saw your reply to mommal. Ugh it drives me crazy that moms are STILL told to sleep train and not nurse baby to sleep. There is zero evidence this is neccesary and lots of evidence it is very harmful especially for breastfeeding moms and babies! The ability to nurse a baby to sleep is like a superpower. It's awesome! And it helps mom get more sleep!

If I was going to write a book of parenting advice, the entire book would be this one sentence: "You can never go wrong by feeding on demand and going with the flow!!!" Shortest baby book in existence. Those other books and articles- the ones that tell you what your baby SHOULD be doing and how you need to go about changing your baby's natural patterns- they don't sell because the advice they dish out is so fabulous, or backed by good science. They sell for the same reason that those miracle diet books sell. Everyone wants to lose ten pounds without having to work for it, and everyone wants an easy baby who sleeps through the night, nurses every 3 hours, and is never fussy. If a book promises that you can turn your real baby into a textbook baby just by following some simple rules, beware! It's probably selling you a pig in a poke.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi ladies, thanks for your help!
    Here I was thinking that my baby is a superbaby for sleeping this long... My husband rocks her to sleep and we use a dummy... I usually remove it very shortly after she goes to sleep though. She stirs in the middle of the night, but doesn't fully wake up crying. Should I take her and nurse her when she stirs like that to get back to nursing during the night?
    I'm now so worried I messed this whole thing up and my milk will dry up! If only I had your support when the little one was 3 weeks old and I was struggling...
    I hope that since we gave her less in the bottle tonight she will wake up earlier and we will gradually go back to exclusively breastfeeding. I'm still not sure which approach is better - cold turkey or gradual
    I guess this why being a mother/parent is so hard - so many conflicting theories and pieces of advice! I won't touch these silly books again, ugh.

I REALLY hope I can go back to exclusively breastfeeding and that my milk won't dry up!

Your baby actually may be a superbaby. A lot of babies are, at 3 months. But brace yourself: many babies who sleep through the night at 3 months start waking at night again around 4 months, so much so that people talk about "the 4 month fussies" or "the 4 month sleep regression". The fact that there are widely understood terms for the phenomenon suggests that you should expect a return to night-waking.

The best reasons to try to change things WRT the long sleep stretch are that you end up so uncomfortably full come morning, and your baby seems to struggle with the fast flow during her first morning feed. I would at least experiment with doing a "dream feed" when baby stirs in the night. If feeding baby up once at night resulted in better mornings for both of you, wouldn't that be worth it? And if nothing changes, well, then you can always go back to letting her sleep.

Please don't worry about your milk drying up. If allowing babies to sleep through was enough to make a mom lose her supply, there's no way the human race would have survived this long. As long as you feed on demand and are willing to feed baby more often when and if she wants it, you're not going to dry up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

She stirs in the middle of the night, but doesn't fully wake up crying. Should I take her and nurse her when she stirs like that to get back to nursing during the night?
    That is what I would do. In fact, that is what I DO do and have with all my kids.

I'm now so worried I messed this whole thing up and my milk will dry up! If only I had your support when the little one was 3 weeks old and I was struggling...
    I really really really really do not think you have messed anything up! At all. Your baby is gaining well ONLY on your milk-right? Even the bottle is your milk that you have pumped over the course of the day-right? So, you are fine. Even if not, even if the bottle is formula, you are probably fine. Milk production is not so fragile that it cannot be easily fixed if it goes up or down a bit. it is best to catch any potential issues early, which you have.

I hope that since we gave her less in the bottle tonight she will wake up earlier and we will gradually go back to exclusively breastfeeding. I'm still not sure which approach is better - cold turkey or gradual
    I don't think you can do this "wrong." Trust your instincts and listen to your body and your baby. That is MY mothering book. (The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) is not so concise as mommal and I, but also a really good book.)

Thank you ladies!
    Last night we gave the little one 150mls of my expressed milk and she slept from 11pm to 5 am. I took her into bed with me and she fell asleep pretty quickly after eating and woke up around 7am (not sure whether I actually slept, but it was nicer to snuggle up with my baby than to sit with her on the couch for the feeding.
    She had a nice yellow poo this morning and was a bit less fussy but the next poo was green She's also been taking 15 minute breaks between feeds but I guess maybe she's going through a growth spurt so I'll just keep feeding her! She falls asleep on my boob A LOT though!
    Tonight we'll just give her 60 mls (I didn't express last night and this morning so I'm going to split the last bottle into two) and top up with breast and hope for the best, hehe.
    Thanks so much for being so patient and answering millions of my questions!

Don't worry too much about the poops, okay? Green poops are just part of the normal spectrum for breastfed babies. Not an indication that you've done wrong or that the baby is suffering. Okay?

I agree with mommal. Maybe as Dr. Newman suggests, Time to get some dark glasses

haha, perhaps dark glasses would be a good idea for me! I'm so obsessed with poop colour my husband thinks I'm crazy
    I just finished a bit of a nursing marathon and the little one seems to be asleep. Hopefully for longer than 2 hours!
    Tomorrow we're giving her the last bottle and keeping fingers crossed everything goes back to normal.
    Thank you so much for your suggestions ladies! I will report on the progress tomorrow!