Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting a 3 week old to breast feed

Default Getting a 3 week old to breast feed

I have been exclusively pumping because my daughter was in the NICU for 6 days and got used to a bottle and wouldn't latch. I want to try to get her on the breast since I've noticed now that when I pump I went from getting 2 ounces plus per breast to only 1 ounce and with her being a preemie want to breast feed her as long as possible. She has been thriving on my milk and I want that to continue. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Getting a 3 week old to breast feed

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

This link covers all the ways I know of to get a baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be particularly helpful. I don't recall whether or not the link covers shields, but if not a shield is definitely something to try if baby is refusing the bare breast. Shields have drawbacks, but they are minor when compared to the larger goal of getting the baby onto the breast. If you end up using a shield, let us know and we'll talk you through it.

Pumps aren't as good as nursing babies at maintaining milk supply. But when a mom sees a decline in pump output, that is usually fixable by pumping more often and using a top-quality pump with correctly sized shields. A mom who is exclusively pumping while she's working on getting her baby to nurse should use a very good double electric pump, at a minimum. Ideally, she should use a hospital grade rental pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Getting a 3 week old to breast feed

Agree with mommal she covered it!
    Have you found local breastfeeding support?