Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Solids this week :D

Red face Introducing Solids this week :D

So my lil guy will be 6 months next week, but I already started him yesterday on solids... I had extra pumpkin left over from making pumpkin muffins and he sure did love it (mostly the playing in it part )!

I am kinda doing a mix between BLW and baby food (the canned stuff). I am so scared he will choke on something if I let him just have a piece of chicken... Hes totally ready to eat, don't get me wrong... I'm just scared he'll choke on something and im not ready for that to happen.. It would scare me to death!

What advice does anyone have when introducing solids? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thank you for your time and advice!

Default Re: Introducing Solids this week :D

IMO, the most important thing to remember is that "until one, solids are just for fun". So what matters is that baby gets a chance to touch, pick up, drop, manipulate, taste, lick, chew, and- yes!- even spit out his solids. Whether or not he actually eats them is pretty immaterial, since breastfeeding will meet all his nutritional needs as long as he is nursed on demand.

Expect your baby to go through phases of interest and disinterest when it comes to solids. Some days he will gobble up everything you feed him, other times he will ignore it or drop it on the floor. Many babies eat more at 6 months than they do at 12, probably because growth is faster at 6 months than it is as baby transitions into toddlerhood.

Model good eating habits. If your child sees you eating and enjoying a variety of healthy foods, he will be more likely to eat a varied diet.

Some gagging is a normal part of experimenting with eating solids. If the possibility of choking really scares you, here are some suggestions:
    - avoid highly chokeable foods, including hot dog pieces, nuts, and chewy meats
    - put single pieces of food on his tray as he gets used to chewing, so that he can't end up with a huge wad of food in his mouth
    - foods that are mashed and steamed are low on the hazard scale because they can't block the esophagus in one giant lump, and can be coughed out
    - offer baby whole peeled fruits to lick and taste, unless the baby can bite off chunks of them (requires baby to have both top and bottom incisors)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'd suggest that you look into making your own baby food. There are so many fillers, sugar and salts in prepared baby foods. At least when you make it, you know the quality of the ingredients (organic is great), what is in it (you wouldn't put salt, sugar or preservatives in would you?) and how fresh it truly is. I'd make it as we went. A bit of banana for baby, banana for Mommy!

I really liked this website: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

I used it for all 3 of my girls. When I needed ideas or just reassurances, it was a great reference.

Also remember to nurse first, then solids. Nursing is still their #1 source of nutrition. So you don't want solids to take space away from nursing. In order to have a "balanced diet" we eat a huge range of foods. So when baby is only getting one or two small, single ingredient solid feedings, they cannot possibly provide a balanced diet. They couldn't possibly eat the sheer quantity they'd need in solids. Which is why breastmilk must continue to be first.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I am going to start solids soon and was wondering how much do i Give my son. Is it only a tablespoon once or twice a day? Also what kind of food do you suggest.

How old is your baby? If he's less than 6 months, then he's not yet ready for solids. If he's 6 months or older, start with 1-2 teaspoons of solid food per day, always remembering to offer solids after nursing so that baby fills up on milk instead of solids. Your goal is to keep breastmilk as the baby's primary source of nutrition until his first birthday. Don't worry if your baby doesn't eat his solids- at this point they are not nutritionally necessary. They're just for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

Good starter foods include things like steamed, mashed vegetables and fruits, and soft-boiled and shredded meat (e.g. chicken from a soup). If there's a family history of allergies, avoid highly allergenic foods (e.g. nuts, eggs, shellfish, strawberries), confine yourself to offering single ingredient foods, and offer the same food for several days in a row. That way if your baby has an allergic reaction, you'll know what the problem food was.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

My son will be 6 months old next month. This might sound silly but do i just give him food directly from a spoon? Are there any types of fruits or vegetables i should not give him? Thanks

You can either put a small amount on a spoon and put it in his mouth, or you can put the solids on your baby's high chair tray and let him experiment with getting the food into his own mouth. The self-feeding approach is messier, but it prevents overfeeding as the baby will only eat as much as he's hungry for, and it also allows baby to have a variety of sensory experiences related to food (picking it up, touching it, squishing it, transferring it to his mouth, dropping it, etc.).

When it comes to fruits/vegetables to avoid, the highly allergenic ones should be saved until baby is around a year. YOur child's pediatrician should be able to give you a complete list, but my understanding is that you want to start with things like carrots, squash, plums, pears, and bananas, and save things like strawberries, mangoes, kiwis, and tomatoes for later.