Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reintroducing breastmilk to a toddler while pregnant.

Smile Reintroducing breastmilk to a toddler while pregnant.

So let me start off by saying its so great to finally find somewhere that I can talk about this without getting looked at strangely. It's actually a huge relief.

I'll start off from the beginning. When I was pregnant with my son I had always planned to breastfeed and began leaking at 20 weeks. When my son was born we happily breastfed and continued to do so for 7 months. With the only problem being my powerful and fast let down. Although we found ways to get through it. However at the 7 month mark I began to notice a dramatic decrease in my milk supply and because of the fact that I had not too much education on the ways of increasing my supply and I had little to no support in extended breastfeeding I regretfully switched my son to formula. Now fast forward 8 months (he's 15 months now) and we are expecting number 2 on March 26, 2014. I obviously plan to breastfeed and I plan on extending far past my 7 month mark with my son. However, at the same time I feel that I am now not including my son in this and desperately want to reintroduce him to my milk and get rid of the formula and Lactose Free milk that he drinks. But I just don't know where to begin.

I've never had any complications while being pregnant, and although every pregnancy is different I feel I'll start leaking around the same time as I did with my son. I also had to pump when I was pregnant with my son as well. So I'm hoping to find a good place to start with this. Even if I pump for my son I think it would make a world of a difference. But I'm worried about my newborn having enough and how to keep a good supply up for both of my children. I am all ears on suggestions, personal experiences, whatever you have to offer me, please share! Thank you! I can't wait to begin this journey again.

Default Re: Reintroducing breastmilk to a toddler while pregnant.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the baby to come!

If you had fast letdowns the first time round, there's an excellent chance that they were caused by an oversupply of milk. If you had oversupply with baby number 1, there's a good chance that you'll have a lot of milk with baby number 2. Oversupply means you make more milk than your baby needs, and when you're making extra, you can usually pump out quite a bit to share with a toddler without affecting the newborn's supply.

But I feel like I'm getting way ahead of myself here- at this point, all you really need to do is to enjoy your pregnancy, stay healthy, look for a new nursing bra, maybe buy a pump if your old one isn't in good shape. But don't actually USE the pump during pregnancy. That's a huge no-no. Pumping during pregnancy doesn't bring your milk in faster, doesn't improve your supply in any way, and is actually a risk because pumping/nipple stimulation releases the hormone oxytocin and oxytocin can bring on contractions. The only reason a woman should pump during pregnancy is if she needs to induce labor, and then she should do so only under medical supervision.

Once your baby is born, leave the pump in the box for the first 4-6 weeks. Focus on making sure that your newborn is nursing well and that your supply is roughly in sync with the newborn's needs before you start introducing more variables into your breastfeeding journey. Once your new baby is nursing really well- gaining weight, has a comfortable latch- then you can start pumping once a day, after the baby's first morning feeding. Pump once a day for a week or so, and see how much milk you're getting. If you!43 getting enough for your toddler, no need to add in more pump sessions. If you want more milk for the toddler, start pumping after a second nursing session, and stick with pumping 2x per day for a week. If that still doesn't get you where you want to be, pump 3x, etc.

But right now... Relax. Enjoy the pregnancy, and don't worry too much about breastfeeding. Okay?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had permission from the doctor to start pumping at the end of my pregnancy because I was so engorged it was painful. But I will take your advice! I just feel guilty I suppose for not going further. Hopefully my supply will be as plentiful as it was the first time and I can provide for both! Thank you!

. That's a very unusual and interesting experience. Can you share more about it- like what did the doc think the engorgement was? What caused it? What did you manage to pump out- was it colostrum? How much were you able to pump?

Definitely dump the guilt about "not going farther". 7 months is an awesome achievement, especially when you don't have support!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"