Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaving lo for a few hours.. When to pump??

Default Leaving lo for a few hours.. When to pump??

Ok so in having such a hard time understanding when to pump exactly.. I have to run a few errands today( we were advised not to bring lo out into community until 6 weeks due to cases of whooping cough and rsv in our town) and I'm leaving hubby w a 3 oz bottle .. I shouldn't be gone longer than 3 or 4 hours.. I plan to feed baby and put down for nap directly before leaving.. My baby is 5 weeks on Monday and nurses a lot.. Anywhere from an hour to two hours usually.. So here's my question.. If I'm gone and baby wakes up for bottle and hubby feeds, so I need to stop wherever I am and pump right then and there ?? Can I wait till I get home ? I find this whole pumping thing extremely confusing. Thanks!!

Default Re: Leaving lo for a few hours.. When to pump??

don't pump when you get home, nurse as soon as you get home. mid-way through I'd pump and ask hubby to give 2 oz vs.3.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Wow this whole Breastfeeding thing really is quite complicating at times lol. Thanks for the advice

Well, not too complicated! You want to pump when your daughter would have been nursing. So nurse when you get home, don't let her have a bottle right before you get back, make sense? So if about 2 hrs into your trip she takes a bottle then you want to pump. That gives you more time to fill up more when you are reunited and she wants to nurse again. Breasts are never completely empty but it is easier for a baby if you haven't just pumped.

breastfeeding is actually very simple. It is overreaching 'advice' that complicates matters.
    no need to pump at all if you
    send husband on errands
    wear baby is a sling when out and wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer frequently. It is not like a magic switch gets flipped at 6 weeks and babies are no longer susceptible to catching illness, so these suggestions are very likely overly precautionary when it comes to healthy full term babies. Especially, breastfed babies.
    You and your husband can get vaccinated for pertussis. If i am understanding the wikipedia entry, most babies get rsv in babyhood and preventative measures are 'impossible.' while it is potentially serious, in most babies it just appears to be a cold.

if the separation is a one off or only occasional and less than 4 or 5 hours, no need to pump at all unless YOU start feeling uncomfortably full. And then you can hand express rather than pump if you like.

The 6 weeks is bc under 6 weeks they need to be hoiyalized w a fever.. Over 6 weeks you can try to treat at home. I am def not up for bringing baby into public places in a community where whooping cough is floating around until the 6 week mark. Thanks for the advice though ladies!! I appreciate it.

Another option, if you feel comfortable and don't want to pump while you're out on your errands, is to feed baby when you get home, and then if you still feel full, pump after. If you feel fine, don't pump. I don't think an occasional short errand will have an adverse impact on your supply if you are otherwise feeding on demand, which it sounds like you are, so you don't absolutely need to pump from that perspective; it's more of a comfort thing. If you are routinely away from baby and giving bottles, then keeping up with supply by pumping becomes more of a consideration.

I am sorry that what I wrote gave the impression that you should bring your baby with you if you are not comfortable doing so and have other reasonable options. Taking your baby along with you (with precautions) was one suggestion I made- I also gave 2 other suggestions (husband run the errands, you pump only if needed, going by how you feel) where baby stayed at home.

I should also clarify, my responses are sometimes not aimed only at the op but as a general comment. This is part of my role as an identified LLL Leader on these forums.

Many people in all kinds of circumstances from all over the world read these forums, and some are simply not able to keep baby at home in the early weeks. It is my opinion that every new mother who needs to run an errand, work, take an older child to school or go ‘out’ for any reason- say to an LLL meeting or to visit a lactation consultant-is not necessarily better off pumping and having someone else bottle feed her child instead of taking her child with her.

We know that pumping and bottles in these early weeks are potentially problematic for breastfeeding, and if a baby is not breastfeeding or is breastfeeding less/formula fed more due to early issues caused by pumping and bottles, that is potentially going to be very negatively impactful on the child’s health in the short and long term. And what about situations where there is no caregiver to watch the child for mom, or cases where pumping and bottles are simply not possible, or a financial hardship, and/or not hygienic?

I do not know about the advice you were given in particular, but I am under the general impression that the reason fevers are often treated very seriously in very young babies (according to the article below, anywhere under 1- 3 months, depending on what the guidelines are in that particular area) is because of the risk that any fever is possibly due, not to a common virus, but to a serious bacterial infection. If the guidelines for a particular hcp are that every baby under 6 weeks of age registering a fever always gets a spinal tap and/or is hospitalized for observation, but if they are 6 weeks and one day, they may not, then I agree it makes good sense to take that into account when deciding what activities to pursue with an under 6 week old baby if a mother is at liberty to do so. But, my point was, it does not mean anything about actual differing risks of a baby at two weeks vs. two months of age 'catching' a contagious disease from being ‘out.’ Where I live in the US, 2 or 3 day old babies who have just been let out of the hospital, as well as most two week old babies, routinely go to the doctor’s office and spend time in the waiting room. Which are generally thought to be very germy places. And I do not see a return to house calls happening anytime soon.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/fever...baby_fever.htm

meg - I believe you're right about the fever. My little guys got a cold at 8 weeks and had to go to Urgent Care after calling our doctor. It turned out to just be a cold virus but they definitely wanted to check them out. After 3 mos they are not as worried about fevers and will let them get a little higher temp before worrying.