Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Past 21 months

Question Pumping Past 21 months

Questions First:
    Can I just not produce for the pump now?
    How should I prep her for being away for longer periods of time (5 or more hours)? Should I just avoid leaving her until she nurses less frequently?
    Now Details:
    My dd is 21 months now and I became a SAHM a couple of months ago. While I worked I noticed that it was becoming harder to get as much pumping, but I was able to keep up with her demand. However, now that I'm at home I tried to pump to prepare for a conference and got almost nothing. I tried a few times each time 20 mins to a power pump 1 hour session. I never got more than 1 ounce total. This was even after she hadn't nursed for 3 hours. My pump is a PISA and has new membranes, everything fits/works etc.

When I'm with her she typically nurses @ every 2 hours though there are times where she goes up to 5 hours and every once in a while she sleeps through 6-8 hours at night. At the conference she was okay with me telling her that she could have water or pops (coconut milk with cinnamon and nutmeg whipped and frozen) instead of my pumped milk and that she could get a hug for comfort. However, I was only away for 3 hours at the most and I could be reached instantly if needed.
    So any advice?

Default Re: Pumping Past 21 months

Hi mama,
    I don't think it's surprising that you are not able to get much from the pump. Your supply is very well regulated right now - matched to what your LO needs. So when you try to pump on top of nursing, it's hard to get much else out. My guess is that if you tried to pump during a prolonged separation, you would be able to get milk out.

I don't think you need to leave milk if you're away for 5 hours. If you're not there she can drink water or the coconut milk combo (which sounds delicious by the way!) - she's already shown that she is happy to do that, even if you ARE there - if you're not there she'll know breastmilk is not an option. I work full time so my 19 month old does not get breastmilk during the day, but she's fine with water or a little cow's milk, and lots of nursing when I get home.

One thing to keep in mind if you are away for a prolonged period, though, is that you might start to feel very full. So be prepared to pump or hand express if needed.

ok so today she was very upset about not having breastmilk available after her nap. I was only away for 3.5 hours. what is the process i can use to help her get used to this. i will not be away on a regular basis but my best friend is getting married so there will be some things i would like to do without her tagging along the bachelorette party and the wedding for example

After you were away, did you try pumping at that time? Or maybe even try to hand express? Maybe you'll have better luck that way.

Otherwise, who was taking care of her when you were gone? And how did they handle the nap awakening? Maybe trying something really fun/engaging to distract her from the lack of breastmilk.