Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night nursing

Default night nursing

Hello lll! I've been very busy with full time school and full time work, and my fantastic family. Somedays I don't see my baby for long hours, who is actually 18 mo now. We cosleep, and it seems like either baby wants to latch and nurse all throughout the night while we sleep, or about every 2 hours like clockwork. I don't mind, and when I'm really tired, I just try not to get frustrated. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Thank you in advance for sharing with me, mamas.

Love this forum, even when I'm not posting much! Hands down best breast feeding advice and support from LLL!

Default Re: night nursing

I too have a LO (13 mo) that changes his patterns (if that's what I heard you saying). Two nights ago he was nursing every two hours or so (I don't wake up enough to look at the clock) and then just last night I think he did it only 2 or 3 times. I find myself getting frustrated if he's crying a lot or this new thing when he lets out a scream in the middle of the silence of the night. Scary! I think sometimes he's a bit uncomfortable; our house gets hot/cold sporadically and he seems to do better when he's quite cool. He hates covers.
    And I work full time so I need my sleep! But most of the time we do okay and I love cosleeping overall because I need my snuggles to make up for lack of time together during the day(DH loves it out of "laziness" but he's at home full time so he gets plenty of baby time!)
    I think stepping back and looking at it big picture helped me stay committed to night nursing for now. There will likely come a time in this next year that I actively night wean but I plan on having him guide the overall weaning process and do self-weaning.

My baby won't be a toddler for just a couple more weeks (I'm almost here, yay!), but there are a handful of us on these boards with super frequent night nursers, myself being one of them! There are many threads in the Sleep sub forum here, where we are discussing this very thing, if you are looking for stories from those of us in a similar boat.

I can also share many of my coping tips for frequent night nursing if you're in need of any of those. Let me know, and hang in there mama!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

sonogirl, I would love to hear some of your coping tips and stratagies. I will also look into the sleep (or lack thereof) forum here to hear more of your related experiences. I don't want to wean at all until baby is ready and shows signs of wanting to do so, and I wonder if that will happen in the next year, or before she's say, 3 y/o. Just wondering. Hey, thanks!
    Funny, how even when I was a SAHM for the first several months, baby was not always but quite often a frequent night nurser. I think it's more now, though, for sure.

Okay, it may sound silly, but the single most helpful thing I have done is get rid of the clocks in our bedroom. When I don't know what time it is or how long we've been asleep, I fall asleep faster AND feel better about the sleep I've gotten. Same is true about not counting night wakings. Psychologically, it's done wonders. I don't lay there and stress about what sleep I am not getting, because who knows how much that is?

Other things that help, if you can manage:
    --Go to bed with baby, even if it's really early. I am in bed by 7:30 or 8 most nights!
    --Put a positive spin on wakings. Focus on your snuggly babe, the extra cuddles you get at night, how peaceful baby looks while nursing, etc. Any time I worry about being awake, I stay awake longer. So trying to replace worry with happy thoughts gets me snoozing sooner.
    --Get a white noise machine for yourself! They are really relaxing, and drown out outside noises.
    --Limit screen time before bed. It really does help you fall asleep faster and make the most of the sleep you're getting.

Really, though, clock watching is THE worst. I won't even keep an alarm in my room--I have made it my husband's job to wake me to get ready for work.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!