Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old fighting at the breast & thrush

Default 6 week old fighting at the breast & thrush

I need your help! My son is a few days away from turning 6 weeks old and has been fighting both breasts for weeks now. I'm pretty sure I do not have OALD, as I don't spray and he doesn't choke or gag. Since he's been born, I've seen 5 lactation consultants. Latch is great and no tongue ties or lip ties. Was just diagnosed with thrush on Tuesday (I've been in pain and my nipples have been killing me for 3 weeks now). Doing a version of the Jack Newman nipple salve that my midwife prescribed for me. Took a Diflucan and have another one for next week. Treating my son with Gentian Violet. I noticed a difference within 8 hours, but this morning the burning breast pain has come back with a vengeance.

Default Re: 6 week old fighting at the breast & thrush

Thrush is a pain in the butt! Can you clarify how much diflucan you're taking? It sounds to me like it's just two doses? According to Dr. Newman's page, it should be daily for at least a week past when symptoms subside. For me, that was a full two weeks of daily doses.

Are you taking probiotics? You can try giving a bit of the powder to your LO too. I also found grapefruit seed extract to be helpful. I diluted it and applied it to my nipples a couple times/day, and I used a q-tip to swab it in my baby's mouth.

Also, make sure that any towels, burp clothes, bras, etc. are washed in hot water (I also used vinegar), and any pacifiers/bottles (if you're using) are sterilized.

Good luck!

One 150mg dose on Tuesday and another one for next Tuesday, so you are correct, only 2 doses. I just found that info!!!!! I placed a call into my OB office to see if I can get a rx for the 400mg initial and 150mg per day for the next 13 days, right?

Yes, I've been taking Garden of Life Raw Probiotic for Women every day for a year now. Hmmm, will have to find some grapefruit seed extract. Did you use the Gentian Violet at all?

Yep, washing and sterilizing everything

I never did end up doing the gentian violet. I probably would have if my doctor had been unwilling to prescribe the diflucan.

I found the grapefruit seed extract at a health store. It made me nipples a little dry and sore, so I used some vitamin E oil a couple times/day as well, like Dr. Jay Gordon suggests. You just have to make sure you wipe it off before nursing, as it is easy to overdose baby and it is toxic.

Thanks for the info!! Also, just heard back from my OB office. They called in a 14 day supply of Diflucan (100mg/day). Yippee!!

Even though my son was not visually symptomatic, from what I've been reading this morning, the cause of his extreme fussiness/re-latching is from mouth/throat pain, right?

Thrush is the devil. I tried everything, except Jack Newman's nipple ointment (OB wouldn't prescribe) and gentian violet (hubby was very anti- anything that would color baby's face...though I would have tried it nonetheless and he would have had to deal, lol). What ended up working... Lying in a tanning bed 5-7 minutes a day. I noticed a difference after 2 days, and by a week later it was mostly gone. I continued for an additional week to make sure. Just wanted to let you know that if you try the diflucan and other remedies and they dont wirk, this is an option. I hate to advocate lying in a cancer bed lol, but desperate times...and I was surely desperate with the pain I was in. Not sure if sunbathing would have as impactful an effect or not...my backyard backs up to the community pool, so I wasn't able to try.

If you have an UltraTan chain near you, they offer 1 week of tanning free before you have to commit to anything. That worked well for me so i could see if it even made a difference before putting any money on the line.

Best of luck!

Holly