Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: losing supply??

Default Re: losing supply??

ok. Do you have any advice on how to increase my pump output then? (I actually already read that article from her.. While I was researching the other day..)
    I stopped taking the pill today and am hoping that's what it was.

Thank you so much for your help! (He's my first so everything is new to me.... and I know I kinda over react sometimes....)

Wink Re: losing supply??

So it was the pill... Today I pumped out 1.5oz just from one side.
    Now to decide on something else or get pregnant again... I don't really care whether I do get pregnant again right away, but I do want my body to have time to recover since I ended up having an emergency C.

OK great, glad that problem was figured out so easily!

As far as birth control/child spacing- I assume your husband is part of this decision making.

Few parents would prefer mom to get pregnant again when they have a 5 or 6 month old baby. Not only will being pregnant almost surely reduce your milk production below what your baby requires, think about it- Two kids under 18 or even 24 months? Do you have any older kids? Because if not, be forwarned- 5 month olds are usually much easier to take care of than 15 month olds! Unless you & your husband already have experience caring for a newborn and a toddler, I would suggest, volunteer to baby sit some toddlers WHILE also caring for you 5 month old and see how that goes before doing anything that is likely to result in another baby. Even the WHO suggests child spacing of at LEAST two years, for all mothers, because close births are so potentially harmful to the health of the older nursling and the mother.

Sometimes I think people (especially doctors, who really should know better) assume women did nothing but pop out kids prior to the invention of the pill. Not so. Yes, this can happen in societies where birth control of any kind is either unavailable or is against the primary customs or religious teachings or is even forbidden by some authority, especially after the loss of breastfeeding (and it’s natural birth spacing effect) as the norm. But the fact is, a variety of reasonably effective birth control has been around for a very long time.

Mommal suggested a good list of the many bc methods that do not involve any hormones and, if used properly (and in some cases, actually used when needed rather than left in the drawer) have a reasonably low failure rates. Two I do not see on mommal's list are abstinence and oral sex. (I guess the latter falls into "outercourse?") Unlike the pill, Both have ZERO risk of allowing mom to get pregnant!

Also, were you on the regular pill or the minipill (progesterone only?)

Because if it was the regular pill, you could also talk to your doctor about the minipill which is much less impactful on milk production typically, although it does seem to also cause issues for some moms.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 27th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

with LLLMeg. One additional thing to consider, if you want to try for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), is that very few practitioners will "allow" a VBAC when the uterus has had less than 18-24 months to heal from the first incision. The risk of rupture is considered too great when less time than that has passed. So that's another reason to choose a birth control method for use right now.

How do you feel about those barrier methods? The diaphragm, sponge, cervical cap, condoms (male and female versions)? Anything strike you as interesting? My personal method of choice is the diaphragm & spermicide combo. On a par with condoms, in terms of effectiveness. Allows partners to enjoy that "skin on skin" feeling. Cheap- around $50-75 for the diaphragm itself, variable price for the fitting. Can be inserted before foreplay even begins, which means there's not necessarily even a pause in intimacy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: losing supply??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with LLLMeg. One additional thing to consider, if you want to try for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), is that very few practitioners will "allow" a VBAC when the uterus has had less than 18-24 months to heal from the first incision. The risk of rupture is considered too great when less time than that has passed. So that's another reason to choose a birth control method for use right now.

How do you feel about those barrier methods? The diaphragm, sponge, cervical cap, condoms (male and female versions)? Anything strike you as interesting? My personal method of choice is the diaphragm & spermicide combo. On a par with condoms, in terms of effectiveness. Allows partners to enjoy that "skin on skin" feeling. Cheap- around $50-75 for the diaphragm itself, variable price for the fitting. Can be inserted before foreplay even begins, which means there's not necessarily even a pause in intimacy.
    (
    Yes, I want to do a VBAC next time(although.. im not sure thats even possible since they said i was too small for my lil one to fit. he came out via c with a cone head and a bruise and he was only 8lbs)... I am looking into the diaphragm... and at least going to use a spermicide for the next few times... Ive never ever tried any of the barrier methods... so they all make me kinda nervous... i wouldn't even know where to get them... (FYI, yes im a 24 year old who has never used such things because my husband and i both were virgins when we got married and i started the pill 3 months before we married .)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    OK great, glad that problem was figured out so easily!

As far as birth control/child spacing- I assume your husband is part of this decision making.

Few parents would prefer mom to get pregnant again when they have a 5 or 6 month old baby. Not only will being pregnant almost surely reduce your milk production below what your baby requires, think about it- Two kids under 18 or even 24 months? Do you have any older kids? Because if not, be forwarned- 5 month olds are usually much easier to take care of than 15 month olds! Unless you & your husband already have experience caring for a newborn and a toddler, I would suggest, volunteer to baby sit some toddlers WHILE also caring for you 5 month old and see how that goes before doing anything that is likely to result in another baby. Even the WHO suggests child spacing of at LEAST two years, for all mothers, because close births are so potentially harmful to the health of the older nursling and the mother.

Sometimes I think people (especially doctors, who really should know better) assume women did nothing but pop out kids prior to the invention of the pill. Not so. Yes, this can happen in societies where birth control of any kind is either unavailable or is against the primary customs or religious teachings or is even forbidden by some authority, especially after the loss of breastfeeding (and it’s natural birth spacing effect) as the norm. But the fact is, a variety of reasonably effective birth control has been around for a very long time.

Mommal suggested a good list of the many bc methods that do not involve any hormones and, if used properly (and in some cases, actually used when needed rather than left in the drawer) have a reasonably low failure rates. Two I do not see on mommal's list are abstinence and oral sex. (I guess the latter falls into "outercourse?") Unlike the pill, Both have ZERO risk of allowing mom to get pregnant!

Also, were you on the regular pill or the minipill (progesterone only?)

Because if it was the regular pill, you could also talk to your doctor about the minipill which is much less impactful on milk production typically, although it does seem to also cause issues for some moms.
    I was on the mini pill. We really want ours like 2 years apart... however, we will take whatever the Lord gives us

Yes, I want to do a VBAC next time(although.. im not sure thats even possible since they said i was too small for my lil one to fit. he came out via c with a cone head and a bruise and he was only 8lbs)..
    If you want a VBAC, it's a really, really good idea to wait. Even the most VBAC-friendly providers will discourage a mom from attempting a VBAC when there's too little healing time in between births.

And PLEASE do not accept a glib "you're probably too small for a baby to fit through your pelvis" as gospel. The "inadequate pelvis" is one of the biggest obstetric myths out there. By the end of pregnancy, hormonal changes have loosened the ligaments which hold the pelvis together, resulting in the pelvis being a really flexible structure in the final weeks of pregnancy. When a baby can't fit through, the problem is usually not that there's something wrong with the pelvis- unless you have rickets or had a badly broken pelvis that's held together with rods and screws or something. It's much more likely that the issue is a positioning issue with the baby. The head, for whatever reason, isn't lining up right with the pelvis. Maybe it's tilted to the side, or back, maybe the baby is occiput posterior (facing up towards the mom's front rather than down towards her back). Often a difficult fit between mom and baby can be resolved by having mom move around, change positions- basically wiggling the baby like a key in a tight lock, until everything clicks.

I am looking into the diaphragm... and at least going to use a spermicide for the next few times...
    You definitely want to use spermicide with the diaphragm for maximum protection. The effectiveness drops pretty low if you're not using the combination. Make sure you put spermicide around the rim of the diaphragm, to deal with any sperm that want to wriggle in around the edge of the device.

Ive never ever tried any of the barrier methods... so they all make me kinda nervous...
    Can you tell us what makes you nervous about them? Maybe we can put your mind at ease or suggest ways to maximize their effectiveness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"