Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I need to leave my 5 week ebf baby for a day..

Default Help! I need to leave my 5 week ebf baby for a day..

Not quite a whole day.. But my mother is having knee replacement surgery next week. My father and grandmother are deceased and I'm pretty much her only support and will need to be there. My baby will be 5 weeks and we are working on bottle introduction this week. How do I manage being there for her, maintaining supply, and avoiding nipple confusion. Hubby will be w baby about 20 min away..

My baby is fed on demand so I'm not sure how many times he will want to eat or want a bottle..

I'm so stressed w all of this.. I do have a double electric to pump while away.. I'm more concerned about baby refusing my breast when it's all over.

Default Re: Help! I need to leave my 5 week ebf baby for a day..

Can't you take baby with you? Most hospitals would let you have a newborn with you. I'd look into that before going the pumping route.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Last edited by @llli*nolabear; October 24th, 2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Mistype

Oh no!! My pediatrician said hospitals are the absolute last place to bring a newborn.. Full of sickness and germs

I think you'll be just fine. Bring your pump with you, ask the nurses if there is a lactation room you can use. Normally I'm not a big fan of that antibacterial gel stuff, but I think it'd be wise to take advantage of it in this case. Wash your hands before pumping. Bring a little cooler bag to store your milk. Don't go more than 2 hours or so without pumping. Have your husband bring the baby to you once or twice during the day if you can, you could go out to the parking lot to feed him if you don't want him inside. And if it's just not working, I think you'd be okay to have the baby there with you, especially if you could wear him in a wrap so he's close to you and shielded from the environment.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

totally agree on everything with still.here, except ditch the nasty antibacterial gel stuff (which has been shown to multiply germs) and just use actual rubbing alcohol. there are little single-serving wipes, or i just carry around a tiny bottle of it. it's drying to your hands, but for one day, worth it. you can put essential oil in if you want a nicer scent.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Need to be where? In the hospital when she has the surgery or at home helping her after she after she is released from the hospital?

if we are talking the hospital, I would suggest, try to talk to her doctor and get some clarity about what the day is going to entail. Your mom is going to be getting prepped for surgery, then in surgery, than probably seriously doped up for a while after surgery would be my guess. And cared for that entire time by hospital staff. I understand you wanting to be there, I would want to be there for my mom too. But my guess you would not need to be there for hours with no break. If you are concerned about ensuring that your mom is treated competently when she is so vulnerable, your husband can do that as well as you can.

If we are talking when she is home, then I would suggest, bring baby with you.

So, for bottles, I suggest your husband follow the paced bottle feeding techniques linked in document and video below. For pumping, the most important thing is to pump frequently enough to prevent yourself from becoming overfull. That is going to vary from mom to mom at 5 weeks.

Paced bottle feeding

-bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    (I suggest do not worry about what she says about feeding baby every 2-3 hours. Baby can be fed when baby cues, which may well be more often than that.)

Or, if your husband is game, a baby can be fed quite well with an open cup. Please let me know if you would like more information.

If bottles are given mindfully or baby is cup fed, your baby is very unlikely to refuse the breast after a single day of not nursing. Nipple/flow confusion that can cause breast refusal IS real, but in my experience (from what moms have told me) it is usually something that builds overtime-so is more likely to occur the longer an infant is given bottles instead of or even along with nursing.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 24th, 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Fixed links

Yeah I had major surgery last Nov and I had my husband drop me off, I checked myself in, waited around for hrs, went into surgery and he was there when it was done with DD and I'm glad they didn't have to wait at the hospital all day long. He was there with the car and it was nice and he even bought me flowers but really I didn't need him waiting around all day.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

whoops had video linked twice and no info sheet in my post above. I fixed it now.