Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain

Default pain

I have a 4month old who nurses great but yesterday I started have sharp shooting pain in my left breast. It gets worse when he nurses and he acts like he isn't getting any milk. I tried warm compresses and pumped, I got the 'normal' amount of milk so I am guessing it isn't a plugged duct. Any suggestions? It really hurts!

Default Re: pain

Welcome to the forum!

Is the pain predominantly in the breast, or is it in the nipple? Are you seeing any of the following: burning or itching sensations, flaking skin, dry-looking skin, thrush in mom or baby, a vaginal yeast infection in mom, yeast diaper rash in baby, a white dot on the nipple, a lump in the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The pain feels like it is from my nipple straight through to my back. There is no flaking, cracks, redness, lumps, or drainage. No yeast infection in either me or baby. I am at a loss... he did nurse on that side overnight and was satisfied. I was in tears but he was ok so maybe it is beginnng to resolve? It still hurts this morning but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

I'm thinking that you probably had a milk blister that broke and is now starting to heal. That would explain that shooting pain centered on the nipple that begins to resolve within a short time period.

More on blebs/blisters: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You may be right. The pain is gone as of this morning. Yay!!! I hope that doesn't happen again!