Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does fenugreek seeds really works to make more milk?

Default does fenugreek seeds really works to make more milk?

i have a poor milk supply since i went back to work.

LO is now 5 mos. i only have 3 times pumping session and got 2-3 oz each pump with an interval of 3 hrs. i wanted to give her my best though i am working. i tried taking fenugreek seeds 1 tsp 3x a day but after 72hrs i didn't see and feel any dramatic change. i read lots of testimonies about success of making more milk with the help of fenugreek, i wonder why it doesn't work on me.

which is more effective- taking raw seeds directly or capsules found in pharmacies?

Default Re: does fenugreek seeds really works to make more milk?

fenugreek does work for me - you want to take it until your bodily secretions (sweat) smell like maple syrup. it'll take longer than 72 hours to make more milk, probably. but also, the main thing that gets you more milk is removing more milk. so taking all the fenugreek in the world won't help if you're not pumping or nursing more.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Do you mean you have trouble pumping enough milk to leave for your baby when you are working? Or that you have low milk production and baby requires supplements even when you are with baby? These are two different issues that may possibly but not necessarily be related.

got 2-3 oz each pump with an interval of 3 hrs
    2-3 ounces per pump session is normal/good output. How much do you think you should be pumping each time? How much milk does baby get over how long a period of separation? What kind of pump are you using and how old is it? And I agree with auderey-if you can pump more often, that will probably help overall. If you have low supply (rather than just poor pump output) nursing more often when with baby will help too, assuming baby is willing.

As far as what is the best way to take fenugreek, I really do not know, but I would think a tincture or capsule would deliver more often herb more easily to your system. Most moms I know take it in a tea, tincture or capsule I think. But it will not work for everyone. Some moms find a different herbal galactagogue or blends of a few different herbs work better, and some mothers do not respond to herbs at all. Kellymom.com has more info on galactagogues, as does the excellent book Making More Milk.

baby is now consuming 4 oz of breastmilk so it means when i can pump only 2-3 oz, its not enough.

when i come home at night, i have to pump so that at least nanny can give breastmilk in the morning. whenever im home we are not using formula, i kept encouraging her to nurse though sometimes she's fussy and rejecting breast wanting to feed on bottle but i just let her relax awhile. her hunger makes her motivate to nurse on me and forget the bottle.

i have now a split hours of duty not like before, i only work 4 hrs in morning and 4 hours at aftrenoon so in between that i have to go home and got an opportinuty to nurse, also i pump at work 2 hrs before going home. this means i have regular pumping and nursing but still my supply has not maintain. last month i can pump 4 oz, but its almost a week now that i can only pump 2 or 3 oz maximum which i ended to taking fenugreek seeds. but sad to say, its my 4th day of taking it and no changes has been made.

Your milk production is fine as long as your baby is growing normally on your breastmilk. I think what you are trying to do is increase pump output, not milk production. That is a little different. Kellymom.com has a good article on increasing pump output. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/

Not being able to pump 4 ounces at a time does not mean you do not have adequate milk supply (milk production). 4 ounces is actually a little on the large side for a single feeding. I suggest that you ask baby's caregiver to use paced bottle feeding and cue feed if they are not currently doing so. -bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs (Don’t worry about what she says about time between feeds- typically, best to cue feed whether nursing or bottles.)

Now you are only gone 4 hours at a time, and your baby is (I assume) a healthy weight and 5 months old, is it really neccesary for baby to get large bottles while you are gone? Maybe you could ask your caregiver to feed baby a smaller bottle (or not feed baby at all) and nurse more often when you are home if you need to. Or you could leave as much milk as you can pump plus a little formula or donated breastmilk instead.

Also, have you checked out your pump? sometimes the problem is the pump.

hi moms, thank you for your comments on my post. here comes my conclusion after 5 days of taking fenugreek raw seeds. i found out that my pumping output has not increase which was 2-3 oz every 3 hrs interval. i have small breast, maybe( just im thinking) this is just the amount my breast can produce due to my breast tissue size but the frequency of let down has increased during feeding not on pumping. i am now experiencing 2-3 let down reflex each time i feed my baby and once or twice during pumping. baby is still the best sucker which stimulate more milk to come out. thanks to fenugreek, little girl now prefers my milk than her formula, she makes me laugh when i saw her tongue comes out on spilled milk around her lips while smilling at me ( mommy thank you for your very delicious milk). now that let down is fast she taught she's feeding on bottle less effort on her side.