Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Offering other breast

Default Offering other breast

hi! If my baby pulls off of the first breast without emptying it (can hand express milk easily), and doesn't seem to want to relatch to that breast, should I then offer the other breast? Of course if he emptied one breast I'd offer the other, but am a little confused in this scenario. Thanks!

Default Re: Offering other breast

It's fine too offer the other breast, and fine for baby to ‘accept” or not. It would also be fine to offer the same breast again.

"Emptying" the breast is a misnomer, as the lactating breast is never truly empty. As long as baby appears to be getting enough milk overall (gaining ok, pooping, peeing normally) and nursing with normal frequency for their age, (nursing often enough) there is no particular reason to worry about emptying the breast or if baby takes one breast or two per session. Do whatever feels natural to you and baby.

Great, thank you! I think I'm overthinking it

No wonder as you will still get people telling moms that baby MUST take both sides, or baby MUST 'empty' the breast, and even timing baby at the breast (10 minutes a side for example) etc. etc even though we have known for years none of that is necessary or helpful in a typical situation.

It takes many of us a while to learn to trust our instincts and trust that baby knows what baby needs! Sounds like you are doing great.

My middle son preferred one breast over another by six weeks he was nursing only from one side. And he is a perfectly healthy two year old
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13