Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm so confused! And getting depressed

Default I'm so confused! And getting depressed

I've posted my babys weight history before in another thread. Her pediatrician is saying I need to start supplementing with formula again and thinking I might have to go full formula if she doesn't gain a good amount by Thursday (2 days from now) she is 10 weeks old and just hit 9lbs within the past week. The pedi says she doesn't feel like she has any medical problems but she isn't gaining with nursing alone. My opinion maybe she is just a peanut an slow gainer? Idk what to do. She says if she doesn't gain now she will have problems when she is older

Default Re: I'm so confused! And getting depressed

I don't see what's wrong with your dd's weight. I didn't look at your other thread, but isn't 9lbs perfectly within reason for a 10 week old? I checked the WHO chart and it looks fine to me, anyway.

Ok, I don't want to tread too far because you are obviously concerned for your dd's health, but if it was me, I would get a second opinion. Actually, I switched pediatrician early in my kitty's life because the previous one was giving me (unsolicited) advice that I felt could be detrimental to nursing and I just didn't like it.

I know this is sensitive, but I think doctor's give advice, not orders. Unless your dd's very life were at risk, I would say you are in charge of the final decision, even if it's not what this doctor recommends. This doctor doesn't have to live with the decision, you and your baby do.

Sorry you are dealing with this.
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

Default Re: I'm so confused! And getting depressed

I agree with pp. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

I cannot remember the exact weight gain history but there is a VERY WIDE RANGE of normal & healthy when it comes to infant growth and weight gain. I am re-reading the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez and it is once again hitting me again how often moms are told to supplement when it is truly not needed for no other reason than that even some doctors do not understand weight charting. And yes he discusses at length young, breastfeeding babies in the book, (as well as young bottle/formula fed babies) not just older kids eating solids etc. So I would suggest that book to any parent who is worried about weight gain or how much thier baby/child of any age eats.

Her pediatrician is saying I need to start supplementing with formula again and thinking I might have to go full formula if she doesn't gain a good amount by Thursday (2 days from now)
    Supplements are one thing, but what possible reason could there be for your child to no longer receive any breastmilk or to nurse?