Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Irregular cycles from nursing?

Default Irregular cycles from nursing?

Hi -- AF returned last month (when baby was 14months) and is very late this month. I'm going to get a pregnany test but wondering if toddler nursing can throw off ovulation? I was home the last 2.5 weeks due to furlough so I was able to nurse DD throughout the day (prior to that I had pump weaned at work). Since I was nursing more, could my body not have ovulated (and I skipped a cycle)?

Just wondering

Default Re: Irregular cycles from nursing?

It's very normal for your first few postpartum cycles to be irregular. Longer or shorter, heavier or lighter than your pre-baby norm. Motive yourself a few months to settle down. If things are still really irregular even after a few months, you may want to see your midwife or gynecologist.

Once your cycle returns, the baby's nursing isn't that likely to throw it off or to prevent ovulation. But it is certainly possible, particularly if baby really picked up her frequency.

Welcome back to work! So sorry about the furlough. I e-mailed my congressman every day telling him get his head unstuck from his rear end.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Irregular cycles from nursing?

thanks mommal. you were totally right. AF returned late so my cycles are still irregular. Thanks for letting me know nursing won't prevent ovulation (I was beginning to think otherwise!).

PS--The best part of furlough was being home w baby