Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Estrogen and Diflucan

Default Estrogen and Diflucan

Hi Ladies!

I have been breastfeeding for 2 years now and have had MULTIPLE issues with vaginal yeast infections. Or, at least, that's what I think is going on. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues while breastfeeding? I'm not sure if even though my menstrual cycle has returned, is estrogen is still somewhat suppressed causing the vaginal irritation? Maybe leading to unbalanced pH? I hate to keep treating with diflucan if yeast isn't the cause of the discomfort. My Dr just encourages weaning, and I'm not ready for that yet.

Default Re: Estrogen and Diflucan

What exactly are you seeing? Sorry to ask you for graphic details, but without them... The reason I'm asking is that a lot of women don't recognize that the changes that occur within their cycles- e.g. increased production of cervical mucus, decreased lubrication when estrogen is falling- are normal and a lot of women do mistake them for yeast infections.

Are you wearing only 100% cotton panties? Taking probiotics? Avoiding things like douches and antibacterial soaps?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know when I ovulate (it's painful for about 3 days) and do have increased fluid then, but other than that, I have no discharge. Just lots of discomfort (rawness) and itching and currently skin that is so raw it's bleeding. I have tried diflucan numerous times and now RepHresh.. and has since gotten worse. I just don't know if it's related to breastfeeding and hormones or something else. I have never been so miserable. My cycle returned at 10 months and was irregular due to the mini pill (I was bleeding constantly). Then I quit the mini pill in Feb and have been pretty regular since. Until now, I'm about 4 days late. SO between the worry of being late and the discomfort Im pretty much at a loss on what to do or where to turn for help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*holly25 View Post
    My Dr just encourages weaning, and I'm not ready for that yet.
    This is ridiculous. Your doctor can TEST whether you actually have a vaginal yeast infection, or some other infection, or something else entirely. It's a very simple test. At this point you need a more definitive diagnosis before continuing multiple rounds of diflucan. Or being told to wean because the doctor is not doing his/her job by figuring out what is going on.

Oh what the ??????! This is the kind of thing that just makes me want to tear my hair out. What evidence is your doctor using that suggests that weaning is appropriate for such an issue?

I personally have not ever in my LIFE have had a vaginal yeast infection. However, I have experienced some serious vaginal itching, mostly when pregnant due to pregnancy related cholestasis, but it has occurred very occasionally at other times as well, both when nursing and when not nursing. In both cases, plain old otc Vagisil worked well for me to stop the cycle of itching and scratching that could cause me to be very sore and uncomfortable. In my personal experience, it even worked to some degree for the cholestasis related itching which was amazing as NO other topical product ever helped or typically does help anyone in the least with the overwhelming, body wide itching that occurs with that condition.

I have nursed three kids for YEARS and never had what I would think was breastfeeding related vaginal itching. I have never even heard of such a thing.

with the PPs. At this point, seeing someone else is a really good idea. It sounds like you really need a second opinion!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm seeing a dermatologist Monday. I know it's not directly coming from breastfeeding. I was wondering if estrogen is still suppressed even though my cycle is back. I thought maybe that would cause dryness and irritation. At this point I'm willing to try any suggestions. My gyn has pretty much handed me off to the dermatologist.

I did test positive for yeast in February but this reoccurs all the time. Like a month after three doses of diflucan and sometimes the diflucan doesn't do anything at all. So that's why I was thinking maybe it was hormonal related. Does that make sense?

i don;t have a clue what (besides yeast and the issue i mentioned above) might cause vaginal itching. A hormonal cause sounds logical to me, sure.

What I question is thinking weaning is going to do anything. You have hormonal stuff going on in your body that has nothing to do with breastfeeding. Something may be off balance hormonaly, but there is zero evidence weaning would do anything. And weaning prior to when a mother and child wish is harmful to that mother and child, physically and emotionally. Weaning is not a benign intervention, so it can not, imo, ethically be suggested so lightly. Of course it is suggested lightly all the time, with even less cause.

Here is my take whenever something is blamed on breastfeeding, even indirectly. From a biological standpoint, breastfeeding is normal. Breastfeeding for years is normal. So why would our bodies react so adversely to breastfeeding?

I think the unbalanced pH thing is worth looking into. Before I got pregnant, I'd get really itchy and uncomfortable for a few days before my period. It felt like a yeast infection, but wasn't. The only thing that helped was a sitz bath with baking soda and warm water. I think you can get pH strips to test your vagina, but I've never tried them.