Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: General Feeding questions/issues for 7 month old

Question General Feeding questions/issues for 7 month old

My daughter is seven months old. I have qualified for WIC and still continue to nurse and pump while at work. I started giving her cereal when she was six months old and started making her baby food with the produce vouchers that WIC offers. A blender and a gift from my sister that squeezes what I have made into pouches have made it all possible.

This month was my first WIC check with baby food on it. They gave me 3 boxes of cereal, and 64 4 oz jars of fruit/vegetables and 31 2.5 oz jars of meat. For one month!!!! Seriously?

I have been giving my daughter cereal mixed with breastmilk (1-1/1 oz) at breakfast, lunch and dinner along with my homemade (usually banana, sweet potatoes or carrots mixed with breastmilk) food. We have tried some avocados, too. I only give about 1/2 ounce of food. She then usually nurses her normal amount or is given at daycare a 4 oz bottle of my pumped milk.

My questions/concerns that I have are with WIC giving so much in a month's time, am I not giving my daughter enough solid food? She is gaining weight and doing beautifully, I have noticed the composition of my milk has changed but I have never changed how much I give her while she is at daycare, it's always been 4oz with each feeding. I haven't even thought about when to introduce her to meats because we are still working on trying so many fruits and vegetables.

Any and all advice/suggestions are welcomed. I can't seem to find a good answer when I google.

Default Re: General Feeding questions/issues for 7 month old

Until around a year, breastmilk or formula meet all a baby's nutritional needs. Solids should be reserved for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They should not be used to replace breastmilk or formula in the baby's diet- merely to complement it.

The reason WIC gives so much solid food is a mystery to me, and it's not an indication that you need to use it. I think a lot of people do because so few people make it into the second 6 months with breastfeeding, and because formula is so expensive. A lot of people are really forcing the transition to solid foods to happen much faster than it should. But there's no need for you to be one of them!

Default Re: General Feeding questions/issues for 7 month old

Thank you so much for your reply, I was really beginning to question if I wasn't giving my daughter enough solids. I like taking my time and making sure she won't have a reaction to certain foods before starting another one. I just didn't want her to need more and I not give it to her. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.