Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falls asleep nursing but wakes when I put him in the crib

Default Re: Falls asleep nursing but wakes when I put him in the cri

I know with my little guy I had to rock him and he had to be asleep for about 10 minutes before I could put him down oh so carefully. That went on until sometime around 6 or 7 months and suddenly one day he was able to put himself to sleep. I figured it out by accident one night when I really had to use the potty so I set him down and when I came back he was asleep. Now at 10 months he needs rocked again some days.

I don't know if you use one or not but the pacifier has been helpful to us. He didn't sleep with one much until about 8 or 9 months when we started transitioning out of co-sleeping and he was teething. He finds it very comforting and it helps him settle.

Everything is a stage and the stages seem to cycle. Enjoy those snuggles!

I've been through this too. I find that sometimes it helps if I walk around with baby on my shoulder first, so that he gets into a deeper sleep that is not in a nursing position. This has worked much better with ds than dd, however. With dd, I ended up co-sleeping until she was 18 months, and I did not sleep well either. To be honest, dd liked to spend time with my mother, and my mother was actually the best help with getting her to sleep without nursing (since I wasn't there). At 18 months my mother coaxed her into a crib at her house a few times, and it made a world of difference.

With dd (now almost 5) I ended up co-sleeping until she was 18 months, and I did not sleep well with her at all. At 18 months, my mom actually coaxed her into a crib at her house a few times, and this made a world of difference. With ds (11 months), sometimes I have to walk around with his head on my shoulder for a while before I deposit him in the crib. It seems like he needs a "transitional" position first that is not a nursing position, if that makes sense.

When your baby wakes up after you have fed/diaper change/burped/rocked ect done all you can and they still wake up when put down don't pick your baby back up because then your letting your baby run the show. Rather reassure your baby everything is OK give him/her a pacifier and either leave or get out of the babies sight they might cry at first but your teaching your baby that they are OK and can fall asleep without you. Start small let them cry a few minutes then reassure the baby don't pick up just reassure and let them cry Little longer each time after that. You know your babies cry. If she's not in pain or hungry or soiled diaper and you know your baby is tired then they are just whining and will quickly learn. Start small though so it's less traumatic

If your baby cries when put down, there is nothing wrong with responding to their cry. Babies have needs, not wants. If a baby is crying for comfort, it is not an attempt to manipulate, nor is the baby trying to "run the show."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jmom16 View Post
    Sometimes you just need to hear that other people relate and it's nice to know that other people nurse to sleep. I feel sometimes like it's a dirty word so I don't really tell anyone I do this b/c they are always talking about sleep training.
    We're going through the same thing right now. I feel like everyone is obsessed about how our dd is sleeping. If I say we have a hard time getting her to sleep and they ask if I nurse to sleep. And I say yes and I get criticized. Then they want to know if she sleeps through the night and I say no I get told I just need to let her cry it out. I just nod my head and walk away. No thank you! We co sleep for nap time but haven't tried it at night. Mostly bc I work 3rd shift. She's way worse about going and staying asleep for my dh when I'm at work. Probably because she's so used to nursing to sleep. Opps! I just love nursing her to sleep though. It's my favorite part of the day because she's so warm and snugly! I figure my dh and dd will figure out a routine that works set for them soon...I hope.