Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best Electric Pump

Default Best Electric Pump

I currently have the lanisoh double pump but one side is broke so can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks x

Default Re: Best Electric Pump

You're going back to work full time, right? 5 days a week, 8 hours a day? If that's the case, I'd go with a Medela Pump in Style, Hygeia Enjoye, or perhaps an Ameda Purely Yours. The APY is probably the most lightweight pump on the list, and I'd only recommend it if you really have no trouble pumping and are willing to invest in a better pump if the APY doesn't work for you. But I may be biased- I didn't like the APY but a lot of moms do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i liked my ameda but i did get it replaced under warranty TWICE. mostly i appreciate that it's closed-system and i found the medelas got milk backed up into motor and it got nasty. this time i'm going pretty far out of my way to get a hygeia since they're WHO-code compliant. but all three of those pumps are made for the same thing - full-time work separations for a year, ~400 hours of pumping.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Check out if your health insurer will give you a free pump through the AHCA. Mine did. The problem is that there are backorders for the Medela's so you may not end up with the one you want but I like my Medela that I keep at my office and if I wanted to transport it every day it's certainly small enough and light enough to do so.

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference? Can I get those pumps here? X

ah, sorry, we're all US-centric here! i have no idea what the UK has in terms of paying for pumps or availability ... though my guess would be all three brands are available.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

When I first bought a pump I didn't know anything about the WHO code and I got a Medela Pump in Style Advanced which I am still using six years/three babies later. It has worked great for me. I would recommend it over the Medela Freestyle, which I've also used quite a bit. I now know about the WHO code so if I were shopping for a pump today, like auderey I might try a Hygeia, but I don't have personal experience with it so can't say how well it works or not.

I went and bought a medela swing. Fingers crossed it works for me x

that's a single electric, right? super easy to travel with?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I like my (used) Hygeia, but I don't have anything to compare it to, except my little manual Lansinoh.