Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old: how much solids?

Default 10 month old: how much solids?

hello, I've read different things, but was wondering how much solids to feed my 10 month old. she has always been on the 10-15th percentile, hitting all milestones on time, and is happy girl (other than teething...poor wee thing!)

she is on breast milk, and is fed solids 3 times a day. for solids I make her own veggies/fruit/meat/egg/cheese/cereal. I usually give her 2-4 tablespoons of solids per meals. I understand solids is more for getting used to texture/taste. is this too much/little?

my mom-in-law recommends that I offer her butter (with her egg)...thoughts? (I am a health nut myself...).

also, if I just decide to feed her only twice a day on solids is that ok? I usually give her solids then wash it down w/ nursing her.

also, she wont drink water...is that ok? I just give her breast milk.

thank you!!

Default Re: 10 month old: how much solids?

Will she self-feed? At 10 months, the easiest way to feed a baby solids is to ditch the spoons and let her do it herself. Self-feeding allows a baby to self-regulate very effectively. If she wants more solids, she'll eat what is on her tray and reach for more. If she wants less, she'll just play with them instead of eating them, or indicate that she wants out of the chair.

There are a lot of reasons why the guidelines for how much solid food to give your child differ so widely. First, there's just not a lot of good science on the transition from needing only breastmilk or formula to needing lots of solids. A lot of what is "known" is derived from custom and preconception rather than from data. Then there's the variation in when and how babies are weaned- most babies are weaned from breast and/or bottle by a year, and a lot of them are weaned abruptly. A baby who is being fed on demand at 10 months has very different needs, when it comes to solids, from a baby who is being nursed/bottlefed just a couple of times a day. And then there's the differences that come into play between different types of babies- some of them want and need a lot of solids rather early, others don't need them at all until after 12 months.

I personally like my pediatrician's advice about solids. She told me that until a year, solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and that after a year, the transition to a majority solid food diet was often a slow one. She also encouraged me to watch my baby- if she seemed to want solids, let her have some. If she didn't seem interested, no worries.

The only time I'd encourage a mom to hold back on solids is when the baby is eating so much of them that it's impacting her desire to nurse. Breastmilk is the most complete nutrition you can offer, and it has got lots of fat- no need for butter on the eggs if she got cream straight from the breast!

At 10 months, breastmilk still meet a kid's liquid needs, so you don't need to offer a cup. But it wouldn't hurt to let your LO play with one, and to take sips of water (or milk, if you can express some) from the cup. Just for training purposes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son is 10 months also, and I am lucky if I can get him to eat 1-2 x day. He loves PUFFS and he will sometimes eat applesauce (he HATES being fed with a spoon ) lol. So, I also make our own veggies and give him fruits. He will barely eat anything but the puffs though. He feeds himself and he does drink water and juices. He loves the breast and his breast milk so that is where he gets a majority of his nutrition. He only has 1 tooth so I have not felt comfortable giving him meat yet. How many teeth does your daughter have?
    After six years of infertility and 2 miscarriages later , I am proud to say I am the happiest woman alive thanks to my son Giuseppe
    Nicole Marie

she actually doesnt self feed. she likes food but likes for me to feed her. she actually even prefers when I give her food by my hand into her mouth vs. vs. spoon! I think b/c at first I enjoyed this process more (seemed more "natural! ha!)...well I'll see how it goes and not worry too much about the solids...guess we'll have to wait another 100 years for the studies/experts to weigh in

I'm in the food is for fun until they are one camp. If they want them great, if not no problem.

My son seems to no longer be satisfied with just his nursing so we're working in more solids. Some days he'll eat a lot of solids, and some days he wont. I try to time his solids 30 or 40 minutes after he has nursed - that way the bulk of his nutrition is from nursing, but I'm less careful about it these days than I was. He eats what we eat so he mostly eats when we eat.

Today he ate banana and puffs for breakfast, and then eggplant for dinner. When I do spoon feed him I'm just careful to keep an eye on his signals. Is he enthusiastic or seeming less interested?