Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help introducing a bottle please!!

Default Help introducing a bottle please!!

My LO is almost 4 weeks and we would like to introduce a bottle tomorrow. I will be returning to work in 8 weeks and my mother is having major surgery that I will need to be awa from LO in 2 weeks. I do have a few questions.. When to pump and how often? I feed off one breast due to forceful letdown and possible oversupply issues. Should I pump off other side or will that make things worse?? How often to give a bottle? Once a day? Once a week? I'm totally lost on how to seamlessly make this transition. Help please!!

Default Re: Help introducing a bottle please!!

Hi

Here are some issues ive experienced and solutions that worked for my children.

I am back to work now also, my son is 9 weeks, I pump every three hours at work.

Ive had issues with my children latching on to bottles. My daughter preffered Tommy tippee bottles. My son prefers medela. You may have to try different types to see what works for your baby.

I had Dad feed the bottles in a different spot than I normally breastfeed.

Be consistent and try to feed one bottle every day until your baby gets used to it. It can be difficult or extremely easy. I'm hoping for the latter for you.

Good luck!

I strongly suggest paced bottle feeding and cue feeding for giving a breastfed baby bottles to help prevent issues like flow confusion, overfeeding, and waste:

-bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

In the video she talks a little bit about timing of feeds, I suggest do not worry about that. Baby's caregiver can cue feed a bottle just as you cue feed when nursing.

I suggest, keep bottles small, 2-3 ounces in each bottle at most, and maybe a few one ounce bottles for top offs.

breastmilk stored in small amounts defrosts very rapidly. Caregiver can typically keep milk frozen until needed.
    it is ok if baby does not finish the bottle. With breastmilk, the bottle can be put back in the refrigerator and used at the next feeding. this is not the case with formula.

As far as puming goes, any pumping you do when separated from baby is simply replacing nursing, so it should not make overproduction worse.

For pumping when with baby, when a mom is overproducing, best to keep pump sessions to a minimum.

A breastfed baby takes in approximately (this is very approximate) 25-30 ounces per day. This breaks down to about 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour for separations, assuming mom is nursing 'regularly" when with baby (baby is not sleeping super long stretches at night for example.) So if you will be gone from baby 10 hours, you want to leave your caregiver 10-15 ounces.

Kellymom has a calculator to help you figure out how much milk to leave.

As far as which breast to pump, I am confused-baby always nurses off the same breast? or you are block nursing?

Remember you must pump or hand express during separations for your own health. have you figured that out as far as helping your mom?

Also just FYI a study found that there is no universal need to introduce bottles at any specific age (or time frame prior to separations.) Babies were introduced to bottles at different ages and the percentages of babies that refused or had difficulty taking a bottle were similar for each age. And many babies took the bottle right off the bat with no issues, again, a similar percentage at each studied age had no issues at all with drinking from a bottle. If your baby has any difficulty accepting a bottle even when using the paced bottle feeding suggestons I linked above please let us know. There are lots of ways to encourage a baby who is reluctant to take a bottle. And even other ways to feed a baby, if it comes to that.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 19th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.