Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas/Stomach upset... is it normal?

Default Gas/Stomach upset... is it normal?

My first son/baby is 2 weeks old and for the past week (at least) has had extreme discomfort in his stomach to the point where he won't eat or sleep or stop crying until the gas is passed. His diapers are wet and his stool is mustard colored with seeds so that seems fine... and it's pretty much that way after every feeding. We've tried doing natural things to alleviate the discomfort (making his legs bicycle, burping, rubbing tummy or back) and we've also tried gas drops. Is this normal for a baby to have this much discomfort? Also, his stools, though correct color/consistency, seem to be fairly erratic. He will poop/pee and then 3 min later poop again...or 10 minutes later. I'm just a concerned mom!

Default Re: Gas/Stomach upset... is it normal?

I am having the same issue with my 8 day old. Someone please reply to this thread to offer assistance. I used the Little Remedies Gas drops which helped a bit, but the gas keeps coming back. I am trying to change up my own eating and have taken Gas-X(as I am also gassy) and will see if it helps at all.

Welcome to both you new mamas!

It's very normal for new babies to have a lot of upset over the production of gas or poop. Think about it this way: up until a couple of weeks ago, they never had to poop or pass gas at all. Now they have to do it all. the. time. They have to figure out how to coordinate all the muscles of their digestive system. We adults take this skill for granted, but it's something your babies are learning for the very first time.

Erratic stool patterns are the norm for babies. After the first few days, most babies are producing multiple poops per day, and many will poop after every meal or even more frequently. After around 6 weeks, the frequent pooping may continue, or may tail off; many babies will slow down their poop frequency, with some babies pooping as infrequently as 1x per week.

If you're thinking that something you're eating is causing your babies to have gastrointestinal discomfort, please let that fear go! Most moms do not have to restrict their diets at all while nursing. If you do need to change your diet, you should know that most of the foods that make adults gassy (beans, broccoli, cabbage, onions, etc.) are not the same ones that affect babies. When a baby has a problem with something in mom's diet, it's most likely to be cow's milk. Other top offenders are wheat and soy. But please don't go down the dietary elimination road unless you have to- again, most moms do not need to restrict their diets in any way and most babies have gas irrespective of what their moms eat.

So, what can you do about gas? You can wait for it to pass- and it will, I promise! As your baby discovers how to coordinate his digestive system better, and gains more overall muscular control, he's going to be able to pass a poop or a toot without it being so traumatic for him. You might want to consider an infant probiotic- talk to your doctor about that one. And try wearing your baby in a sling or popping him in a warm bath when he's uncomfortable.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My doctor suggested gripe water.. It's all natural and has been helping my 2 week old

Gripe water worked wonders for both of my children.