Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alcohol and breastfeeding??

Default Alcohol and breastfeeding??

Now I know an occasional glass of wine or a beer is okay, but can you drink hard alcohol. Like if I wanted a margarita or something? I googled this question an it's just a bunch of people's opinions. I want to know for sure if its ok or not.

Default Re: Alcohol and breastfeeding??

The same principles apply no matter what form the alcohol comes in. Alcohol enters and leaves your breastmilk at the same rate it enters and leaves your bloodstream. If you are okay to drive it's a safe bet you are okay to nurse. Don't drink too much within too short an amount of time and you'll be fine. All that said, very young babies are more susceptible to smaller amounts of alcohol and they need to eat much more frequently than older babies so you would want to be much more careful with them.- since you're posting in the newborn section I felt I should say that.

How old is your baby? And how much are you planning to drink? Will you be away from baby? Have you pumped to provide a replacement in case you find you are not feeling like you can nurse when baby gets hungry?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She is 10 weeks old. Since she has been born i have had a beer and another time I had half a glass of wine. If I wanted to have a hard drink it would be A margarita. Just one if I even do. If its not safe then I won't buy I haven't yet cause I'm not sure and its bit worth it to me if it isn't okay

one beer has the same alcohol content as one glass of wine as one (1.5?) oz of booze. doesn't make a difference what kind of alcohol, it's how much over how long a period. a typical adult will process one drink (as just defined) in an hour or so. so if you feel comfortable having a beer, a margarita (depending on how big/strong it's made) would be the same thing.

lots of moms nurse just before, while, or immediately after drinking, to have the longest time to let their body burn it off. but even without that, the risks of a drink are very minimal unless you're binging.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.