Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No supply, not sure why...

Default No supply, not sure why...

So 2 weeks ago I noticed my supply drop, drastically. I used to pump mostly, only bf 2-3 times a day, but pumped every 2ish hours and bottle fed. I was getting about 4 ounces during 15 minutes on each breast. Then one day i barely got a half ounce combined. For the last 2 weeks I have done everything I could think of, 9 fenugreek tabs a day, lots and lots of water, eating more, oatmeal, power pumping(10 min on 10 off for an hour) 3-4 times a day, pumping every hour to build supply, holding baby while i pump, "hands on breastfeeding, double pumping, pumping after he feeds until there is no more milk(and 5 minutes after) and nothing. Now i get about an ounce to an ounce and a half every 2-3 hours (in the morning I get 2-2.5 ounces) Im at my wits end, ive had to supplement with formula and it breaks my heart. I know, some bm is better than none, but I want to get back to 100% bm. Are there any tips and tricks I may be missing? Ill try just about anything, im about to cry here. Also some people say that pumping may be hurting me, so I spent all day yesterday just breast feeding. He would feed for an hour straight and I could feel that after 5-10 minutes my breast were empty and would just scream bloody murder. I gave him formula and he would eat 2-3 ounces after every hour feeding session(also i pumped after this session to just trick my body into thinking he was cluster feeding and got nothing with any of those pumps, maybe a few drops)

Default Re: No supply, not sure why...

Hi mama, welcome to the forum!

So, first question, why have you mostly been pumping rather than breastfeeding? In general breastfeeding does maintain supply better than pumping, so I think it's great that you have been putting baby to the breast more - I think that will help a lot. But if you need help troubleshooting any breastfeeding problems, that would be helpful to know. How does nursing feel? Do you have any pain? How is baby's latch?

There are multiple reasons why you may have seen a decrease in supply with pumping. First, I don't have a clear idea of how much pumping you were doing per 24 hours. Generally a newborn baby (how old is your baby?) will nurse 10-12 times per day or more. It's hard to pump that often, but if you are pumping less than baby would normally be nursing, that can lead to a decrease in supply. Second, pumps are machines that can malfunction, and some pumps are better than others. What kind of pump are you using? Is it used or new? Do the flanges fit properly?

So currently, how many times a day are you nursing, how many times are you pumping, and how much formula are you giving?

If breastfeeding is going well, then what you are doing is perfect - nurse as much as you can. Your breast is never empty. Even if supply is low, baby nursing for an hour is GREAT for supply (and is really normal behavior for any newborn). And then you do want to pump if you give baby formula, because when you give formula, your breasts are not getting that stimulation to make more milk. But it's important to have a well-functioning pump - preferably a double electric; a hospital-grade rental will give you the best stimulation.

with the PP.

Just a couple more questions-
    - How old is your baby?
    - In the last 2 weeks, did anything change significantly, e.g. pumping less, started a new form of birth control, episode of mastitis?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He is 5 and a half weeks now. I was pumping because my husband was doing the feedings at night and we tend to do alot of running during the day so I would pump to have an extra bottle or two. He latches perfectly and will stay on for 20 minutes usually but is then starving. He wont go back after doing both breasts once because he knows there is nothing there(and I will pump after and not get more than a few drops) so I have to give him formula. Its usually 1 ounce bm and 3-4 ounces formula. I was using an electric double pump from the hospital(madela i believe) but i bought a first years mi pump(double electric) about a week ago. When switching pumps my output has not changed. There was no pain with nursing, nor with pumping. He only eats about every 3 hours but I try and pump every 90 minutes during the day(usually about 10 times during the day). Nothing has changed since I started bf, no medicines or illinesses. I do believe i have a clogged duct in my left breast but that just started two days ago. Have been using hot compresses and massaging while pumping or bf and i still have pain, no fever or lumps just a pain up the side of my breast. I can still get about 1 ounces from my right breast, but I cant get much more than drops from my left. (this all jsut started 2 days ago, but my supply decrease happened almost overnight 3 weeks ago). Any other questions?

Hi, It sounds to me like things have been thrown a little off track with your pumping and your husband doing night feedings. Do you pump at night as well to keep up your supply?

If you pump more than you actually breast fed that could be one of the main reasons for your milk loss. You should try to go back to night feedings it may help get your milk on track or pump while you are breast feeding to take advantage of the let down effect.

I can see that you really are trying and thumbs up for keeping up with it.
    Hand expressing your milk could also be an option, It's slow but can work.

When i used to pump i never would get much. But when I hand express i would get more milk out that way.

I hope it all works out for you.

Most recommendations are that moms delay introducing a bottle until breastfeeding is "well established". For most moms, that means waiting at least 4-6 weeks. So if "running around" and bottles at night result in very limited nursing and trouble maintaining supply, I would take that as a sign that you need to throttle way back on the bottles, eliminating them if possible, and declare a do-over. Time to focus on nursing at the breast, getting baby comfortable with the breast, letting him become an expert at getting milk out of the breast- and also time to give him a chance to forget the bottles.

You're supplementing with an extremely large amount of formula. A breastfed baby will typically take between 2 and 4 oz of milk when nursing at the breast. You're nursing at the breast and then following up with an entire feeding's worth of food (i.e. 4-5 oz of breastmilk and formula). One way to start eliminating the bottles is to immediately reduce the supplement to a more reasonable 1-2 oz, putting the baby back on the breast if he still seems hungry after finishing the bottle.

While cutting back on supplements, you want to nurse a lot more and, if you have the energy, pump in addition to nursing. You want to use a much better pump than the First Years, which is not designed for a mom who needs to increase her supply. I would want to use something like a Medela Pump in Style or, better yet, a hospital-grade rental.

I'm guessing that you're going to go in for your 6 weeks postpartum checkup pretty soon. When you do, the doctor or midwife is almost surely going to ask you what form of contraception you want to use. I would select a nonhormonal method (e.g. condoms, diaphragm, sponge) for now. The doc/midwife may tell you that hormonal methods like the Mirena IUD and progestin-only minipill are safe for breastfeeding, and while that tips supported by the data there is a lot of credible anecdotal evidence that for some women even the supposedly safe-for-breastfeeding hormonal methods can have a negative impact on supply. Not what you need right now, correct?!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, I do pump at night but only twice(the same as the day i came from the hospital) I have tried hand expressing and I dont get much, I also forgot to mentioni that i watched the video on hands on pumping and tried that for a few days and it did nothing... Maybe im doing this all wrong. I am starting to get discouraged

Also something that may or may not be related, I have never felt the "letdown sensation" that everyone talks about when i bf or pump. I have noticed when i pump that I just have a consistant stream, no faster shoots, in fact my milk doesnt ever come out fast at all. Even when i was getting closer to 4 ounces it took a while.

Also Mommal, i just saw your last comment. I am supplementing alot but he is eating 5-6 ounces every feeding now. He isnt getting much off the breast anymore and is still starving. I will try to drop it down to 2 ounces and see if i can get him back on the breast but normally he is soo flustered that he refuses to relatch but i will try.

I agree with mommal that you are feeding too much formula at one time. Just because baby WILL drink that much does not mean baby NEEDS that much. A breastfed baby will have frequent, small meals at the breast - as mommal says, maybe 1 or 2 or 3 oz. Formula fed babies get used to taking in bigger amounts less frequently. So your baby needs to start getting used to those small, frequent meals, because that is what he is going to get at the breast. If it's too drastic to go from 6 oz to 2 oz, then start backing down slowly.

Some mothers don't feel the letdown feeling, or feel it at first and then don't feel it. That in itself isn't particularly informative.

Here is a step-by-step approach to weaning off the supplements:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

And definitely put baby to the breast as much as possible, and use a better pump if that is a possibility. You can definitely get back to exclusive breastfeeding, it will take a bit of work but you can do it and it's very much worth it!