Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue Tied? Help please.

Default Tongue Tied? Help please.

A little background:
    This is my 3rd child. My first had a major bottle preference and eventually, after months of struggling, went to day time pumping/bottles.
    My second was a great nurser, no troubles, just a little bottle training needed.

Now comes #3. He is 4.5 months old. Despite my experience, I have felt like joining LLL the past month or so because things never felt quite right. He nursed in his own unique way from the beginning, but it was working, so we went on. Things seem to be getting harder. He's not gaining weight well. He resists feeding, both bottle and breast, but will take if he is hungry enough, just not large amounts (max 4 oz).

Now that I've learned about his poor weight gain from 2-4 months, I'm seeking help. He won't nurse in public well, but he tried at the LC and took in 5 cc... My supply has dipped a lot, never a problem with the other two kids. In fact, I tend to have major oversupply in the beginning.
    I watched him nurse today, and his chin moves up and down, but it didn't feel like he was really "getting it." Sometimes I feel like he is lifting his body and drawing his face into my breast, trying to take in the whole thing practically, while his feet squirm. Tonight, I bottle fed for 15 minutes and he took in a whole 1.5 oz in that time, tongue clicking the whole time.

Does this sound like he could be tongue tied? I'll try to post a picture, but it's not great. It's from a few months ago, but I'll try to take another tomorrow.

Default Re: Tongue Tied? Help please.

pic below
    Last edited by @llli*mel281; October 17th, 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: removed link

Well, if what I am seeing is a very short, kind of 'fat' frenulum then that does look unusual to me. But it is REALY hard to tell from the picture and, of course, I am not on any way qualified to diagnose tt anyway.

Have you tried the "Murphy Maneuver" yourself for assessing for tongue tie? http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/11/0...ng-tongue-tie/

You saw an LC. Was this an IBCLC? Did she discuss tongue tie with you, examine baby's mouth? Suggest an ENT or Pediatric dentist who diagnoses and treat tongue tie?

other good sources of tt info are dentist lawrence kotlaw website and the womanly art of breastfeeding 8th edition.

Clicking and poor weight gain are indicators of tongue tie.

with LLLMeg. I would talk to the pediatrician, and maybe a pediatric dentist and an ENT as well. Sometimes those latter classes of docs know more about tongue ties than pediatricians.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Well, if what I am seeing is a very short, kind of 'fat' frenulum then that does look unusual to me. But it is REALY hard to tell from the picture and, of course, I am not on any way qualified to diagnose tt anyway.

Have you tried the "Murphy Maneuver" yourself for assessing for tongue tie? http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/11/0...ng-tongue-tie/

You saw an LC. Was this an IBCLC? Did she discuss tongue tie with you, examine baby's mouth? Suggest an ENT or Pediatric dentist who diagnoses and treat tongue tie?

other good sources of tt info are dentist lawrence kotlaw website and the womanly art of breastfeeding 8th edition.

Clicking and poor weight gain are indicators of tongue tie.
    I did try the "Murphy Manuever," however I don't think I am doing it right. It seems that any detection of frenum is a "speed bump," so anyone would have that, myself and DD included.
    I think the LC I saw was an IBCLC. I spoke to her this morning on the phone and she said that she did check for tongue tie, but he was able to suck her finger where the tongue extended over the mandibular ridge, so she did not think to pursue it further. Especially because his weight at 2 months was good (12 lbs, 6 oz, 58th%), but then went downhill (4 month weight was 13 lbs, 8 oz, 18th%).
    But she suggested I call the ENT and start there. She also thought I should get a scale for home, and maybe see a speech pathologist.
    I wonder if this one is ok, does anyone have experience with ?
    https://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...uctId=20222396

Also, he has been treated for (silent) reflux since about 3.5 weeks old. I started slowly weaning him off at 2 months, based on my pedi's advice and not agreeing with the original LC's Rx for it. We went from 1.5 mLs Zantac 2x/day to .9 mls. DH seems to think he doesn't have reflux either and I don't know what to think.

Well, it is my understanding is that reflux is ALSO an indicator of tt. So I do think it makes sense to see an ENT. For a good article on reflux in general, look up GER on askdrsears

Tongue tie can be present and not cause speech issues or breastfeeding issues. Basically many people grow up never knowing they have tt because it does not cause any problems, or the problems are worked around developmentally so are never diagnosed or require treatment. If a child has tt and it is interfereing with weight gain and breastfeeding, then it is a serious medical problem and requires treatment.

Also changing percentile does not necessarily mean something is wrong. A baby 'falling' dramatically in percentiles on a growth chart is a sign that there may be a problem of some kind, and that your baby's health or nutritional intake bears closer inspection by baby's pediatrician. But weight gain is one indicator of good health and needs to be assessed while also looking at other health indicators. There have been a bunch of threads on this lately...

If the problem IS tongue tie, it could make sense that baby gained fine earlier and then had issues with gain. This is particularly true if mom tends toward overproduction. Despite the tt, baby may gain well in the first couple of months when milk production is abundant or even overabundant, and then not gain as well when milk production levels off.

You do not have to join LLL ‘officially” to get help from a LLL leader, in person, at a meeting, on the phone...At least, not in the USA. I am not sure about the policies elsewhere. Of course, paid memberships and donations to LLL are always appreciated!

I just wanted to mention that my LO had a substantial tongue tie (the pediatric ENT who saw him at 2 years old took one glance at it before telling us it needed clipped). He gained a pound a week for quite a while as a newborn. By 6 months, he had triple chins. My pediatric nurse practitioner sister was having a fit that he was overeating. I was in agony the first month, and fine after that. (Although, now that DS2 is here, I know that DS1s latch was never as good as DS2s was at birth) So, it's not a given that tongue tie causes poor weight gain immediately or ever.

Just an update and thank you for your replies.
    We saw an ENT on Friday who felt DS was not tongue tied. I called the doctor and explained that I had increased my milk supply and ruled out ankyloglossia, and DS still had very little interest in eating, etc and that I felt like it had to do with the Zantac dose being lowered after his two month check up. We decided to try the higher dose of Zantac again for a little while and see if that helps, otherwise discontinue it all together.

I upped the dose starting on Friday (and went to 3x/day vs 2x/day), and starting last night (Saturday), he seems to be taking better feeds. I did get a scale, so I will check him today, but he nursed more contently, longer, and I was able to notice a significantly less full breast. Hopefully this resolves the issue and he starts gaining better.
    Thank you!