Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving up the scale

Default Re: Giving up the scale

Hi krystine,
    I get why you are nervous about giving up the scale, but I agree with mommal and auderey - I think you are ready to give it up. Think of it this way. If you are breastfeeding from the beginning, without pumping or scales, how do you know whether baby has had enough? Sometimes, you don't. But mostly, you learn your baby. And the simplest answer is, if baby is fussy or moving around or otherwise indicating that he MIGHT be hungry, or if it's been a bit since the last feeding, you offer the breast. And if baby drinks (as he often will), that means milk was the right answer. And if he doesn't, that means something else is going on, and you go through your bag of tricks to see what that might be - or perhaps baby is just being fussy, as sometimes babies are. And you watch diapers and overall weights.

You ARE an experienced mom krystine and you are also an experienced breastfeeding mom! You are doing all the right things. I really think the boys are going to do fine without the scale! And I think you will too once you get used to it.

thank you. it's just crazy that I've nursed all these years and am still so clueless. If I'm full and they drink and drink and then de latch looking all content and happy then yes I get that they had enough, but most of the time I'm fairly empty so it's like, OK....offer them another side, offer the SNS or what do we do here? Have I already mentioned I'm looking forward to solids and putting some of this low supply pressure off myself?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I don't think you are clueless. I think you're just making things more complicated than they need to be! I don't think how empty or not you feel tells you anything. I also don't think you have low supply. When you were measuring it was 36-38 oz - I don't think anyone would look at those numbers and say "low supply." Maybe a little short of what twins need (or maybe not) but not low. How much donor milk are you using these days?

7-8 oz/day. You know, I think about it, and I think I was stressed into worrying about my milk supply from day 2 when everyone at the NICU was pressuring me to have my milk come in so my babies would poop and lower their bilirubin levels. My boys take about 22 oz each/day total.

So many moms get thrown down the rabbit hole of self-doubt before they ever leave the hospital.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know, this whole "but your milk hasn't come in yet" thing drives me CRAZY. Moms being told to supplement with formula "until their milk comes in." When it's normal for milk not to come in for three, four, or five days (or longer) and when there IS colustrum in there which is exactly what baby needs!

I know! My OB visited me in my NICU room Monday, I delvered Fri and he said oh you're milk will come in today. it did. We bought donor milk at 5 dollars/oz to buy us time while my milk came in and even after bought more donor milk, partly bc the staff wasted my milk. But regardless, I think it's crazy my production is no higher than it was 2 mos ago. I nursed my babies about 1.25-1.5 hrs after birth and was very diligent about expressing every 2-3 hrs around the clock.

but krystine, bf babies don't take more milk in volume from about a month to 6 months. unlike formula fed babies. as you know! i know you're partly talking about increasing your supply to get rid of the supplements, but you're doing like 80+% of their needs right now, right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah, I think they're close to their max now, at least I hope so yes this is more of a quest to get off supplements but if not I'm fairly at peace and HMHB has been a great resource for milk donors. I still am leery of formula but thankfully haven't had to give any yet. BUt yes I think I'm close to 80% which honestly is probably pretty good for twins, isn't it? I mean, I know some women who just really struggle with making enough for twins. I have a few friends who always made plenty and I have a couple of friends who have had to supplement from the beginning due to being so premature they needed preemie formula. My boys missed the cut off for that so they didn't have to have formula but we still give vit D and iron.
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; October 19th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

definitely great. not just pretty good!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.