Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    Blocked ducts are the worst! Soooo uncomfortable!

    When you spoke with the LC, did you talk about your pumping techniques or your flange size and fit?

    Have you tried going bra-less? It's not the hottest look around, but can help. Alternatively, I will occasionally wear a sleep nursing bra with a tank top over it to give myself the grace of no show nipples.

    I hope you are able to get enough support to keep with it. I found that after six months, nursing got a lot easier- I hope you get to enjoy that ease as well!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsforthewin View Post
    Blocked ducts are the worst! Soooo uncomfortable!

    When you spoke with the LC, did you talk about your pumping techniques or your flange size and fit?

    Have you tried going bra-less? It's not the hottest look around, but can help. Alternatively, I will occasionally wear a sleep nursing bra with a tank top over it to give myself the grace of no show nipples.

    I hope you are able to get enough support to keep with it. I found that after six months, nursing got a lot easier- I hope you get to enjoy that ease as well!
    She looked at the flange sizes - I have two - and let me know which one she thought was better (the regular 24). She recommended only pumping about 10 minutes to relieve the fullness but not tell my breasts to produce more. But I'm not sure if it works that way for me - after 10 minutes I've already let down, pumped about 2.5-3 oz total, and quit dripping. If I go longer I get another letdown but I'm wondering if 10 minutes is emptying my breasts enough to tell them to produce more (which I guess I don't want). But is it ok to quit pumping if I'm still getting milk? Will that mess with the plugged ducts too?

    I work from home and have a nanny here all day and other people that are in and out, so I'd prefer to wear a bra around them

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    I'm definitely no expert on pumping- I just started having to pump myself this past week!

    I do suspect your bra, though. Only because every time I've had blocked milk ducts it has been after wearing a certain type of nursing bra. Any bra that is unlined or thinly lined, and supposedly is an adjustable cup size is not my friend. I find that they lack the right kind of support and kind of just sling the girls, putting pressure on them from the bottom and pressing into to the top. I had one sports type nursing bra that was the worst- even if I only had it on for and hour or two while I walked, I would still have issues!

    What I do when I go out is wear a regular bra, fully lined and supportive. It's the right size so there's no pressure or compression and my girls rest easy where they are supposed to be. It's a bit of a hassle to nurse as I have to unlatch the back and lift it over my chest- but I find I have way less issues than when I wear regular nursing bras.

    They may even have fully lined, fully supportive bras in your nursing department. Which may be a good option as well. I live fairly rural and we only have the Motherhood Maternity store and they have terrible bras. So for me, regular bras it is! Unless I'm home alone, then none at all

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsforthewin View Post
    I'm definitely no expert on pumping- I just started having to pump myself this past week!

    I do suspect your bra, though. Only because every time I've had blocked milk ducts it has been after wearing a certain type of nursing bra. Any bra that is unlined or thinly lined, and supposedly is an adjustable cup size is not my friend. I find that they lack the right kind of support and kind of just sling the girls, putting pressure on them from the bottom and pressing into to the top. I had one sports type nursing bra that was the worst- even if I only had it on for and hour or two while I walked, I would still have issues!

    What I do when I go out is wear a regular bra, fully lined and supportive. It's the right size so there's no pressure or compression and my girls rest easy where they are supposed to be. It's a bit of a hassle to nurse as I have to unlatch the back and lift it over my chest- but I find I have way less issues than when I wear regular nursing bras.

    They may even have fully lined, fully supportive bras in your nursing department. Which may be a good option as well. I live fairly rural and we only have the Motherhood Maternity store and they have terrible bras. So for me, regular bras it is! Unless I'm home alone, then none at all
    I had the lactation consultant look at my bra as well. I haven't been able to find a bra that I actually like yet so I'm still on the hunt. If anyone has any suggestions for a supportive, breastfeeding friendly, anti-plug, bra, then please let me know! The ones I have are unattractive and I would prefer one that is lined.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    middle of IA
    Posts
    1,885

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    i have very large boobs so have long been a fan of high-quality bras, in any case. for nursing, i really like the royce bras which i get directly from their UK website (they ship to US). you can get them from US sites like herroom.com, too, but not always every size. but i have no experience with plugs so i can't say how they'd do for that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

    Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    I suffered with the reoccurring plugged ducts and pores too, can remember nights of sitting up in bed and sobbing in pain while my lo struggled to nurse. Just wondering if you have tried taking lecithin granules? The gel capsules never helped me much at all for some reason, but I found a jar of lecithin granules at a health food store and eating a big heaping spoonful every day made a HUGE difference. I went from having a plugged duct every second day or so to having them very rarely, then not at all. Hope this helps, so sorry you are having this problem.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nathansmum View Post
    I suffered with the reoccurring plugged ducts and pores too, can remember nights of sitting up in bed and sobbing in pain while my lo struggled to nurse. Just wondering if you have tried taking lecithin granules? The gel capsules never helped me much at all for some reason, but I found a jar of lecithin granules at a health food store and eating a big heaping spoonful every day made a HUGE difference. I went from having a plugged duct every second day or so to having them very rarely, then not at all. Hope this helps, so sorry you are having this problem.
    That's interesting; I take the gel capsules. They also have raw form - do you think that would be better as well? Should I try the granules and raw form and see if they help? I wonder what the difference could be? How quickly did the granules start helping? Did you make any other changes at the same time or did anything else particular to prevent them? How old was your baby when you quit getting plugs? I'm kind of grasping at any straws, so other people's experiences, especially from people who had the same problem and were able to get it under control.

    Thanks!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    I know how you feel, I was grasping at straws too. It can't hurt to try the granules (or raw form, although I dont know what that is) the granules started helping me right away, like in a day or 2. I also found that hydrogenated fats aggravated the problem, for example I went to a street fair and had some fries and a soft serve ice cream and by that evening I had major plugs on both sides. But it sounds like you are already avoiding them.
    I had a lot of pain for the first 3 months. My son's latch was kind of weird, he would nurse constantly and pinch down on my nipple with his gums.
    It took me a while to even learn that plugged ducts/blebs were my main problem, then around 3 months;

    -I had a course of diflucan to rule out thrush, even though there were no obvious symptoms, which helped a bit, but I kept getting the plugs until I started taking the granules.

    -started wearing good comfortable lined nursing bras with no underwire.

    -Cut all unnatural fats out of my diet (margerine, store bought cookies, crackers, pastry, deep fried food, etc.)

    -Started taking the lecithin granules daily.

    Around 3-6 months I would still get an occasional plug, but it was waaaaay better and steadily improved. By the time my son was 10 months or so I stopped taking the lecithin altogether and started eating cookies and fries again, I cannot remember the last time I had a problem.
    I think a major factor was also that as my lo got older he became much better at emptying the breast, so plugs stopped forming. Please have hope, I am sure your situation will also improve with time and troubleshooting.
    Last edited by @llli*nathansmum; October 27th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    I also avoided pumping, it seemed to make them worse. I would just nurse, nurse, nurse!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

    One last question - did your baby sleep through the night? Were you able to without getting plugged, or do you think that contributed? I'm getting up and pumping right now to keep the milk flowing and have been doing that 3 nights, in the hopes that it helps.

    I've pretty much done everything; just had her tongue tied and her latch looked at and we should be good there. I've cut out saturated fat. The only things you mentioned I haven't done is the diflucan and the lecithin granules (although I have done the gel caps). I feel like the granules are my last hope - I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now. She turns 4 months next Monday, and I think I've decided that if things don't start to improve by then, then I will start to figure out how to wean. The granules come in later this week, so I'll give them a week. Otherwise, I just really feel like I've done all I can and I can't keep living with getting them multiple times a week, and some days more than one a day. I'm praying for a miracle right now!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •