Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

Default Re: Recurrent clogged nipple pore

We'll pray with you, mama.

Would you consider an idea that is totally out of left field? If so, read on... One thing that reduces incidence of mastitis in cows is the use of something called teat dip. It's basically an antiseptic wash that is applied right after milking, reducing the infiltration of mastitis-causing bacteria into the teat canal. Ordinarily I wouldn't even mention this to a nursing mom, because I'm a big believer in people not trying to kill off the normal bacterial flora on their skin. Antibacterial hand soap? No thank you! But what if you happen to harbor some strain of bacteria that gets into your nipple pores, and then causes these plugs to form, perhaps as a response to the bacteria? I'm thinking that an experimental approach you could take would be to wipe down your nipples and areolas with some sort of germicidal solution. I'm thinking rubbing alcohol or antibacterial soap or an antibacterial gel. Of course, you'd wash your nipples and areolas again before nursing baby.

Sorry if that's too crazy for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My lo slept through the night once, ever, he is 18 months now
    At 3-4 months he slept a regular 4-5 hour stretch, and if he didn't wake up at that point I did, with an engorged breast leaking all over me. I would dream feed him and go right back to sleep. Usually he woke up first. I highly recommend doing a dream feed instead of pumping. It is easier and baby does a better job than any pump.
    It is interesting that you say you have the lipstick nipple shape after nursing, so did I even though my LC couldn't find anything obviously wrong with his latch. I think he was trying to clamp down to deal with a sudden fast letdown.

Mommal, would a vinegar rinse do the same thing? I used a vinegar rinse twice a day on my nipples for a while as part of the possible thrush treatment.
    Last edited by @llli*nathansmum; October 28th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

IDK! I mean, vinegar is an acid and definitely a mild germicide. And it would be a very breastfeeding-friendly thing to put on your nipples, as long as you washed off any yucky-tasting residue before nursing again. I got interested enough in this idea to look at the literature from the dairy industry- it seems like such a weird thing to do but there's SO MUCH MORE literature out there on lactating dairy animals than there is on lactating humans! Anyway, the dairy industry uses a lot of different stuff. Clorhexadine, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine solutions, various acids, ammonia... Sometimes they combine the germicidal agents with "teat conditioning" agents, which are probably things that keep the teat from getting dried out and chapped.

I know that back in ye olden days of obstetrics- I'm talking 100 years ago- nursing mothers were sometimes advised to wipe their nipples down with boric acid in order to keep down the germs. It was stupid, deleterious advice for most moms- I mean, who wants to wipe their nipples down with acid a zillion times a day?!!! Shoot, just give that kid a bottle. But I have to wonder if maybe there was a certain population of moms for whom this was actually good advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

What about trying Gentian Violet for that purpose? It's most common use is for treating thrush gently. I'm using it now, not for thrush but just as a gentle antiseptic to treat my current 'issue'. I'm currently having a lot of success with it. Would be gentler than using rubbing alcohol ect..., and it does not need to be removed before nursing, would even be better left on to treat LO's mouth for any radical bacteria imbalance.
    Last edited by @llli*twinsforthewin; October 29th, 2013 at 08:20 AM.

I think that's a really good thought. I mean, it seems like thrush could be a possibility here, and GV would be helpful if that were the case.

OP, how do you feel about this? Too crazy... Or just crazy enough?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely willing to try anything and am not opposed to some kind of anti-bacterial-type solution on my nipples after pumping/nursing. That's a lot of ideas though - I'll have to see which one I can do and seems best. Not sure what to start with! I know we already have antibacterial hand gel and hydrogen peroxide, and maybe some vinegar, around the house. We don't have any Gentian Violet but I could order some; that seems like a good breastfeeding-friendly option that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

@nathansmum - I would totally do a dreamfeed if it was feasible to do it in that manner. Unfortunately, my baby has pretty bad reflux, so any feeding involves her being slightly uncomfortable afterwards until she spits up, and we have to burp her and hold her upright for 20 minutes after she eats. She inevitably wakes up during this time and is unhappy. If she is choosing to sleep on her own and is gaining weight fine (so that I know she's getting the calories she needs during the day), then I'd prefer to let her sleep peacefully without making her uncomfortable. I'm so jealous of the babies that can do a sleepy dreamfeed. Also, the lipstick nipple shape has gotten better since she got her tongue tie clipped, but it's still there sometimes. I think it's worse when she's comfort nursing, and I've been told the latch looks good (and it feels better now also) so I'm not too concerned about it right now.

Also, I just ordered some wool nursing pads because I read somewhere that Scandinavian midwives have long recommended them to prevent plugged ducts - I guess it's from how they keep it warmer. I feel like I'm throwing a lot of darts out there, hoping something hits the bullseye and works.

I ordered my Gentian Violet from Amazon. You'll want the 1% solution- reviewers say the 2% is too strong and can irritate skin.

Also- this isn't for everyone, I know... but whenever I don't feel well or think I might have an infection of any sort or an imbalance of bacteria- including anytime I've had issues with clogged ducts...- I eat raw garlic. Believe me, I know it sounds disgusting, and it is- but I swear by it!

I peel and press fresh, whole garlic cloves usually three or four, let the garlic pulp sit for a few minutes so the beneficial chemical reaction can take place- then spread it on buttered toast. It tastes awful and you will have a physical awareness for the rest of the day that you ate raw garlic. But I swear- it works!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nathansmum View Post
    I suffered with the reoccurring plugged ducts and pores too, can remember nights of sitting up in bed and sobbing in pain while my lo struggled to nurse. Just wondering if you have tried taking lecithin granules? The gel capsules never helped me much at all for some reason, but I found a jar of lecithin granules at a health food store and eating a big heaping spoonful every day made a HUGE difference. I went from having a plugged duct every second day or so to having them very rarely, then not at all. Hope this helps, so sorry you are having this problem.
    @nathansmum: So did you just take one big spoonful a day? I'm not sure how much to take. I was taking 4 1200 mg gel caps before, and a big scoop of the granules is supposedly 1500 mg, but I'd imagine that the properties are somewhat different. Also, how did you take it? Did you just swallow a spoonful? I tried putting it in my oatmeal this morning and at first I was ok with it, but now it's making me feel like gagging I don't really like the taste.

The jar suggested a measured tablespoon per day as a dietary supplement, so that is what I took. Only I eyeballed it by heaping a regular teaspoon because it was easier to just dump and stir. Put it into a small glass of juice or milk, stir it up quickly and chug it down fast. Don't let it sit or it will get clumpy and globby. The taste and texture certainly leaves something to be desired At first I tried to eat it in cereal too, it's not too bad on granola, but I found that it was ruining my breakfast.
    I sure hope it helps, let me know if you see any improvement