Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gassy, no one is sleeping, what am I doing wrong?

Default Gassy, no one is sleeping, what am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone! My name is Carolyn and I just had my first baby, a boy, on October 30. He came in at 7 lbs 7 ounces and at his 2 week appointment he was up to 8 lbs 6 ounces. The first week and half, two weeks were great. He nursed every 2.5 to 3 hours and would fall right back to sleep. Sometimes I would have to wake him to nurse.
    Well now, poor Magnus is having a hard time and so is Mama! I feel so bad and need some advice. We are desperate!
    Magnus is wanting to nurse practically every hour. I offer both breasts with a burp between and after. But what's getting us is the gas. He wakes himself up screaming with gas. I just don't know how to help or if I'm doing something wrong. He will nurse for 15-30 minutes on the first side, then 5-8 minutes on the second. If you need more info or have advice, I am willing to listen and try anything to help my sweet boy! Thanks.

Default Re: Gassy, no one is sleeping, what am I doing wrong?

I am going through the same thing! DS is 7 weeks and is having terrible gas pains especially at night. I try to burp him a lot too. We are in the process of getting a referral for his tongue tie to get clipped. I have a feeling that his latch is good but not sealed - there is clicking a lot of the time. Do you hear that noise with your DS? You could check to make sure he isn't taking in a lot of extra air because of a poor seal - you could also look for a tie under his tongue.

Overactive Letdown can also encourage a lot of extra air to be swallowed because the milk is coming fast. This is especially hard at night because if you are like me you are quite full after 3 hours or so. I try to give DS a break after a couple minutes in the beginning but he always fights me because he wants to eat!!

Your DS may wants to nurse every hour too because he's in pain. I find that later in the AM when the screaming and pain gets bad I will nurse him and then he'll pass a LOT of gas or poop. That usually helps a bit so if he wakes in pain he may be looking to comfort nurse the gas out.

We've tried gripe water to some effect during the day and night - it's hit or miss with the gas but a miracle for hiccups!!!

Would love to hear any suggestions from other mamas!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrshal07 View Post
    Hi everyone! My name is Carolyn and I just had my first baby, a boy, on October 30. He came in at 7 lbs 7 ounces and at his 2 week appointment he was up to 8 lbs 6 ounces.
    Congratulations on your new, beautiful, growing babe! Hurray!

The first week and half, two weeks were great. He nursed every 2.5 to 3 hours and would fall right back to sleep. Sometimes I would have to wake him to nurse.
    Well now, poor Magnus is having a hard time and so is Mama! I feel so bad and need some advice. We are desperate!
    Man, these first few weeks/months can be such highs and lows-- and just this constant state of always-changing. Do you have a good support system and helpers around you? Do you have a supportive partner? Any in-laws or grandmas in town to help?

Magnus is wanting to nurse practically every hour. I offer both breasts with a burp between and after.
    This article may be some solace: http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/el...h_baldwin.html . How does nursing feel, mama? Is there any pain or discomfort for you? Does little one continue to have sufficient wet and dirty diapers? Nursing very frequently can be really normal (which is not to say its not a huge challenge, and tiring, and HARD), which is why I ask about who you have around you. Because if you are nursing that baby on cue, and that babe is cuing every hour or thereabouts, clearly you are not going to be doing much of anything else, other than sleep when you can. Do you have people there that can take on the lion's share of the rest?

What nursing positions are you using currently? Side lying was a godsend to me in those early weeks, and I'd use it at night as well as during the day. Even if I wasn't sleeping, it was relaxing to be reclined and in bed, and able to sleep if I so chose (on a sleep surface that was safe for baby). I got ALOT of netflix in during that time with a frequently nursing baby who would nurse into a nap, nurse during a nap, wake up and nurse again... etc. Have you tried side lying or another reclined position?

But what's getting us is the gas. He wakes himself up screaming with gas. I just don't know how to help or if I'm doing something wrong. He will nurse for 15-30 minutes on the first side, then 5-8 minutes on the second. If you need more info or have advice, I am willing to listen and try anything to help my sweet boy! Thanks.
    In between nursing sessions, is baby laying down on a flat surface? If so, have you tried keeping baby upright after nursing for an extended period of time (and really, if baby is nursing frequently, this could translate to 'the vast majority of the time')? A carrier, sling, or wrap may help with this.

NO, you are not doing ANYTHING wrong. Newborns are gassy by nature; their digestive system is immature and still developing.

Have you tried any infant massage for gas? There are youtube videos if you'd like to google. This helped us a little when my little one would struggle with gas (or, atleast I got to feel like I was doing something!).

You are doing great, mama! I hope some others will chime in soon with other ideas.
    Last edited by @llli*erin.in.middletown; November 18th, 2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Magnus is wanting to nurse practically every hour. I offer both breasts with a burp between and after. But what's getting us is the gas. He wakes himself up screaming with gas. I just don't know how to help or if I'm doing something wrong. He will nurse for 15-30 minutes on the first side, then 5-8 minutes on the second. If you need more info or have advice, I am willing to listen and try anything to help my sweet boy! Thanks.
    My suggestion is to only nurse one side at a time. Your baby is gaining wonderfully so there is no reason to offer both sides every session. This (switching sides each session) is a milk production increasing technique , and your baby's gain indicates your milk production is just fine. Nursing one side at a time along with frequent nursing may even help with gas.

Another tip is to hold baby more or less upright for as much as possible, and at least after feedings for at least 30 minutes, this may help. YOU don't have to be upright. You could lean back on the couch or propped well up on pillows in bed and hold baby snuggled on your chest, and baby will be in a position most babies seem to find most comfortable. Also, someone else can hold baby.

Frequent nursing and fussy baby is pretty much par for the course at this age.

Thanks for the response. I have a good support system once my husband is home from work. It's just me and Magnus during the day. At night, my husband does anything he can, including feeding me if my hands are full!
    He has 3-4 poop diapers a day and 9-11 wet diapers. One thing I forgot to mention is that he grunts a good bit in his sleep. My left nipple had a milk blister which is still painful but getting better. On the left side I usually use the cross cradle and on the right, the football. He struggles to latch any other way on the right. He sleeps in one of those Rock n Play things so he is inclined. I also move him to my chest to burp and keep him there for a bit. How could you resist those snuggles!
    We have tried rubbing his tummy and moving his legs. He fights me moving his legs and I'm scared to hurt him!

Forgot to add that he is grunting a lot and gets the hiccups but not spitting up. I wasn't sure if it could be a silent reflux issue, I did send a message to his doctor asking that!

This sounds exactly what I am going through. Hoping I find some advice that will help.

Not to put too fine a point on it, and not at all to minimize how tiring it is to care for a newborn (it is HARD WORK), but because a few others have joined the thread saying that they're having the same issues, I wanted to encourage you that frequent nursing and frequent gassiness do not necessarily mean that there is any problem at all to be "fixed" per say...more just normal situations to find workable adaptations to, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrshal07 View Post
    He has 3-4 poop diapers a day and 9-11 wet diapers. One thing I forgot to mention is that he grunts a good bit in his sleep. My left nipple had a milk blister which is still painful but getting better. On the left side I usually use the cross cradle and on the right, the football. He struggles to latch any other way on the right. He sleeps in one of those Rock n Play things so he is inclined. I also move him to my chest to burp and keep him there for a bit. How could you resist those snuggles!
    I hope you may consider trying nursing laid back (for your own comfort!-- very important if baby is nursing every hour!, and for help with gas and digestion), or side-lying (for your own comfort).

Also, and this sort of thing doesn't help so very much in the moment, I know, but their digestive systems are in the process of maturing. Gas and spit up and all of these sorts of issues often will improve naturally with time.

Best of luck mamas! Hang in there!

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

This article was very helpful when my youngest son displayed many of the same symptoms. Painful waking, hiccups, grunting in his sleep, painful gas. We have a strong family history of dairy issues and 40% of reflux cases are related to dairy sensitivity. Eliminating a food group, especially one that is hidden is so many places, is overwhelming at first but can easily be done. If you don't see even slight improvement within a week or two, then resume your normal diet.
    Baby wearing also helped us tremendously during the day. It kept him in close, easy access for the hourly nursing sessions and kept him up right and tight to minimize jostling him after a meal.
    I hope things improve for you soon!

Fussyness, crying, hiccups, spit up, not spitting up, gassiness, and grunting, -all of this truly sounds entirely normal to me.

One thing to look may be the 'regular' burping. I have seen parents burp a baby so much it was actually causing issues. Many breastfed babies need no burping at all. Also, Often just holding baby upright brings burps up gently.

Also, reclining chairs and cradles like the rock in play hold baby at an entirely different angle then when a baby is held by an adult or worn against mom or dad in a sling. in the r&p, Baby is on an incline, but still on his back. Snuggled against mom or dad, baby is not only more upright but more on tum. This helps with gas.

And sometimes air bubbles only come up a bit after baby has nursed- baby cries, and you can burp then.

It is currently thought that food borne allergies via breastmilk occur in a relatively low percentage of babies. It happens, of course.

If eliminating a food group (dairy is the first to try typically) is not a great hardship, I see no reason for a mom to not try it, as it won't hurt anything as long as mom does not eliminate to the point of not getting enough to eat.

But there is nothing in the ops list of concerns that sound out of the ordinary in a two week old imo. Baby screaming in pain is a bit concerning, but I have found that if some babies have an upper airway air bubble, that might make them scream. If baby can be comforted easily and the burp brought up, then the issue was just an air bubble. Same with lower intestinal gas. Gas can cause sharp pains prior to elimination, but gas is an entirely normal byproduct of digestion. An older child or adult feels gas, they know what it is and deal with it. An infant deals with it by screaming- "OW! Help me!" and we do, by picking baby up and comforting them.

Also, even if allergies are occurring, the usual recommendation is continuing to breastfeed while mom figures out what to eliminate.

I am taking pains about pointing this out because I have seen moms throw in the towel on nursing because they become convinced there is a problem and that the problem is what they eat and they simply do not have the ability as exhausted new moms to adjust their diets dramatically. Or because someone puts their baby on hyperallergenic formula. (BTW switching to formula of any kind is no longer considered appropriate for breastfed infants in the vast majority of cases of suspected allergy.)

Baby is gaining well, indicating baby is not ill. Baby is only two or 3 weeks old. Baby has no rashes, serious congestion, bloody stool, or any other issues that have been reported. Isn't it most likely baby is fussy and no one is getting sleep because that is the norm in the newborn period?