Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain interfering with let-down

Default Pain interfering with let-down

Hi there mommas,

I just had minor outpatient surgery yesterday(just posted about prepping for this a few days back) to repair an umbilical hernia (thanks big baby belly!) and I'm taking hydrocodone and a little motrin for pain. I won't even go into the whole annoying thing with the nurse anesthetist who suggested I "pump and dump" for up to 24 hours, and luckily someone from the L & D floor came to give me a pump and then said "you know you don't have to dump your milk, who told you that...."
    Anyway, what I'm noticing today while pumping at work is that my let down is inhibited. Could it be the pain? I don't think it's the hydrocodone, as I know that is a safe drug during nursing (and LO is over a year and takes solids happily). I was thinking there is still some residual pain/soreness and I'm taking the minimum amount of hydrocodone on the off-chance that my little guy gets too sleepy. Any tips for how to encourage let down easier? My breasts were still so full after my first pump today. Mainly just want to empty these breasts to prevent plugged ducts since I'm prone to them, not worried about LO getting less milk tomorrow while I'm working.

Default Re: Pain interfering with let-down

Bump. I don't have any answers but noticed your post hasn't been answered. Here's to hoping someone else comes along

Default Re: Pain interfering with let-down

It's okay I think I have it solved and by now I am done with the meds. No need to reply now! Thanks