Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: safe cold medications while nursing?

Default safe cold medications while nursing?

I know its recommended to continue nursing your baby while you are under te weather because they can get your fighting anti bodies in case they get sick... but is there anything safe for mom to take to make her feel better in the meantime?
    I woke up this morning with a yucky headcold and I am now at work and ad miserable. Someone offered a zyrtec to me, but i didnt take it because i didnt know if it was considered safe to take or not... does anyone know if it is, or what is okay to take while nursing?
    Lisa

Default Re: safe cold medications while nursing?

I think that most OTC cold medications are okay for breastfeeding, though some of them can lead to lowered supply if you take enough of them (Sudafed is a good example). I would call your baby's doctor and ask what he/she recommends.

I personally tried to keep my intake of cold medications very low while nursing, but when I was really miserable I would take a single Sudafed before bed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not sure what your symptoms are, but have a little advice. I was a frequent Sudafed user before getting pregnant and wondered how I'd survive without it. I have awful sinus issues anytime I get sick. During my first bad cold (which led to bronchitis) I couldn't stand it and ended up taking Sudafed, even though it sounded questionable to use during pregnancy. It helped me sleep for one night. While nursing, I only took it once, and it really seemed to not help much. So I started experimenting with things I found on the internet. I find that for stuffiness, neti pot wash helped. Then I couple that with a drink of various strengths of raw apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) mixed with lemon and honey helps. If I'm really stuffy, sometimes I'll make it as a shot. For sore throat, that same concoction made as a tea, with cayenne pepper helps. Cough -- I can never find anything that helps with that. I stick with honey, but never notice much difference. Now, for all these things, FREQUENT use is the key. Neti pot I do about 3 times a day, and drinks some of the honey/lemon/apple cider vinegar tea 4-6 times a day. My husband calls it "stinky tea," and now has my 2-year-old saying that. I've come to like the taste, actually! Plus, the apple cider vinegar has cleared up my skin -- double bonus.

So I'm going on 2 full years now with only one use of Sudafed. I've had numerous minor sinus infections, but nothing I couldn't conquer with that.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I have not even one touch of oversupply, so I have always avoided pseudoephedrine like the plague--but I've done surprisingly well managing sinus pain/pressure with just ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory pain reliever, and very often just reducing my sinus inflammation manages to get everything out!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Zyrtec is considered safe while pregnant and BFing, according to my previous OB, midwife, and allergist. I *think* I remember Benadryl being considered the safest OTC runny nose med, but it puts me right to sleep, so not an option for me.

Filmmommy has some great suggestions for drug free relief. I cannot take Sudafed because it causes me to not sleep, so I use other sorts of nasal decongestants, too.

Nasal irrigation is the biggest help, though I prefer the squeeze bottle over the neti pot. They are available in most drug stores, and if you are not good at making the proper saline solution (like me) you can also buy the premeasured packets. Using plain tap water is not a good idea, and can actually make things worse, so use the salt packs!

A note about the apple cider vinegar, if you aren't already drinking it for health, please try to buy the type that is made for drinking. The most common brand is Bragg. The reason I suggest this is that some of the less expensive store brands intended for cooking might not have the same quality control on the pH, and you don't want to be drinking an overly acidic ACV drink. I mix 1 mugful of hot water with 1 Tbsp of ACV and a drizzle of honey. The ACV opens the sinus and calms the stomach while the honey soothes the throat. Tastes good, too.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Sassypants, that's good to know about the ACV. I only use Bragg's -- I wasn't sure if it was the only raw, unpasteurized brand. Thanks for that info!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.