Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am new!

Default I am new!

Hello, I am new here with some questions. DD is 13.5 months now and breastfed. 3 days a week I am in the office and away from her, since age 4 months I have been pumping 3x a day, over that period my pumping supply has been dropping. Today I made 5.5oz total which seems to be the new normal. For a while she would receive two 4oz. bottles at daycare, now it is more like two 3oz and just barely!

I pump after she goes to bed and again in the morning before I wake her and I get dribbles. Is it time to give up the pump and give her goat or cow milk while she is at school those three days?

I would appreciate advice and alternatives? I want to continue but also want to make sure she is getting enough. Recently a lot of people are telling me it is time to stop breastfeeding and it is actually annoying. I definitely wouldn't stop completely, but would just stop the pumping at work. Or I could continue pumping and give her one bottle of breast milk and a bottle of something else?

Thanks!

Default Re: I am new!

Lots of moms pump-wean at the age of one. Your supply is well-established by that time so you don't need to worry much about your supply dropping. It will be there when you need it, even on weekends. And if you continue to nurse 3-5 times per day, you don't need to replace the breast milk with a milk alternative, though you can use cow's milk (or other milks) if you wish. Solid foods and water should be plenty for the hours you are apart.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with @still.here

I pump-weaned my now almost-to-be 17 mo, and we still nurse at night and weekends for naptime since I am away all week during the day at work. It has to be gradual though... I dropped one session per week and I didn't develop any pain, lumps, etc, etc.

I know I don't have much milk, but my DD seems to be ok with that, she doesn't really fuss about it, and *usually* she goes to sleep pretty quickly. I know she comfort nurses most of the time...

We offer milk during the day with meals, and sometimes she also opens the refrigerator and drinks her milk before going to bed (before nursing...)

Hi and welcome! I also work 3 days/ week and and have been since DD was 7.5 months old. She's 15 mos now. I went from pumping 3 x/day to 0-1 time now. My little kitty gets 1 bottle of bm at daycare (so if i haven't pumped the day before, it's coming from a tiny supply in the freezer.) and one bottle of cow's milk.

Regarding supply, I can tell you that, the less I pump, the less I worry about my supply. I guess because I'm not confonted with the measurements on the side of the bottle, and can focus just on DD being a happy camper. There always seems to be enough for her when she wants it, even if she just asked "a minute ago" and even if my breasts don't feel remotely full. My body just seems to be on-call for her.

It's very reassuring, and convenient, because I can take time for myself without worrying that a) she'll be desperate to nurse or that b) I will need to pump or start leaking.

It sounds as if you have seen your pump output go down. That may or may not indicate production has gone down. Do you regularly troubleshoot your pump, change the membranes, etc?

Milk production continues to be based on demand, so it naturally goes down very slowly & gradually when baby begins eating more and more solid foods.

I know I am in the minority here, but I am not as confident about pump weaning at the one year mark as some others are. I have talked to too many working moms who lost so much production due to not pumping at work that their babies ended up weaning earlier than mom wanted. When a baby weans after a year, many folks assume it was naturally the right time. But that is not my opinion as I think most children would prefer to nurse much longer, assuming there is milk and both mom and child enjoy nursing.

Milk production is still based on demand for the duration of the time a child nurses. If you were home with baby, presumably baby would be nursing during these times. It sounds as if your baby also takes a longish sleep stretch at night maybe? This would make milk removal during the day even more important.

So I would suggest, if you are working at times your child would normally nurse, you might want to consider pumping for at least a little longer, at work. Although you can probably pump less than three times a day. Another option if you are really just done with pumping would be to actively encourage more frequent nursing on your days off and/or overnight.

I would certainly say, no need to pump when you are with your baby. Nurse instead.

As far as what your child needs at day care, that really depends on your preference and if and what your baby is eating, solids wise, and as pp mentioned, how many times baby is nursing the rest of the day.

Recently a lot of people are telling me it is time to stop breastfeeding and it is actually annoying.
    I agree. That is annoying! Are these people who actually have any say/stake in the matter? Or can they just be politely ignored?

As usual, excellent points made by Meg!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.