Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Onto the "beyond" phase of "2 years and beyond"

Default Onto the "beyond" phase of "2 years and beyond"

DS turns 2 this week, and I couldn't be happier to be going strong nursing. My little lactivore still nurses about 10-12x/day, with (I think) 2-3 night feeds. We cosleep, which affords me every opportunity to snuggle my treasure while he's still little.

Nursing, for us, means much more than the (still substantial) nourishment it affords DS. It's a secret oasis in a busy world, an entree to a realm of unconditional love and happiness.

This journey, which I hope will carry us to 3 "and beyond", if DS so chooses, has taught me who I am. It isn't politically correct to say this, but I am foremost a mother and a source of love and nurturing. Since DS' birth, I have come to see myself as a voice for those who have none, and I owe this paradigm shift to my intensive nursing relationship with DS. Because of our deep attachment, I chose to step off a high-powered career track to give DS the attention he needs. I losing my life, I found my true self. He taught me to love more fully than I ever had because his needs superseded mine.

Mamas, every child is a blessing! Even the ultra-high-needs of some of our nurslings have a tremendously luminous silver lining. The difficult times are inevitable, but you WILL get through them. Nothing beats the joy of hearing your sweet child tell you he loves you, or that he loves your milk. No sound is sweeter than your child's spontaneous giggles of sheer delight while nursing.

I wish every mother and babe the magic of the "and beyond" years, for in them resides our greatest glory!

Default Re: Onto the "beyond" phase of "2 years and beyond"

That's very nice, alphawoman. Geez, my LO just turned 2 and only nurses 2-4 times a day, so you must both be very busy. I wish you both luck as you move into the 2-year-old challenges.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

congrats!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

A beautiful post Alphawoman Thank you for putting into words many of my feelings! We are at 2 yrs now as of last week. My only concern is her lack of interest in any food that isn't candy, lol! God bless you & your beautiful little one.

Thank you for that post. I feel much the same way and am so happy to hear it put so eloquently. My almost 2 year old nurses @ 10 times per day Love it!

Thanks Angelicas.mom, for your kind words and blessings. Happy birthday to your daughter! May God bless your family abundantly!

Thanks m11612. It's lovely to be in such good company.

happy birthday!

My daughter loved her 2 yr old nursing and it was with reluctance and careful consideration that she chose cupcakes and a weaning party at 39 mos. A full year later she still talks about nursing and the delicious mommy milk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

What a sweet reminder of why nursing is so special- & that it's not just for newborns. Thanks!