Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 months and still can't get breastfeeding down

Default 4 months and still can't get breastfeeding down

so hers my story: my little one wouldn't latch when she was born and my hospital gave her a shield with no instruction to me on how to get her off of it. at four months and lots of tears she's kicked it. I will have to post how I did it but once I realized a way that was easy for the two of us she was latching and feeding in a couple days. And all was good for a day or two, but now she won't latch four more than a min or two and then she cries until I give her a bottle. I do pump afterwords but then I'm not full when she needs to eat again. She is also teething. She's got b bumps in the bottom and top. She also likes the bottles because they have a faster flow. the first feeding in the am is the best because I'm super full and its easy for her to eat then. so here's what I have tried, pumping beforea feed so my let down happens faster, feeding her before she gets super hungry, using Tylenol regularly throughout the day, oragel before a feed. I get super tense too so I know that's not helping, but I've good feed would help me relax. I feel like I've exhausted every possible avenue. What else can I try. Oh I've also feed her in multiple positions and in calm places in the house, I've used meditating music for relaxing and Camomile tea. Problem is I can't drink while she's eating cuz she pops off before I can even reach for the glass. I feel real rigid while breastfeeding her cuz I feel like I can't moved or she'll stop. Dear lord forget it if I have to pee.

Default Re: 4 months and still can't get breastfeeding down

Welcome to the forum!

What do you think would happen if you just roughed it out and didn't use the bottle? Would baby eventually decide to feed again? I'm thinking that eventually she'd have no choice... And what would happen if you started using the shield again?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow that is great you got off the nipple sheilds-just a few days ago?

what you are seeing in terms of shorter feedings is often typical at this age. But some of what you describe also sounds like what is typically called 'nipple confusion' or 'bottle preference.' So, I have some questions.

Is baby gaining well exclusively pretty much on what you produce daily? Or is baby being supplemented with formula, or donor milk, or milk you pumped in the 'past?' In other words, do you have any reason to suspect low milk production?

Were you and baby ever seen by an IBCLC to have latch and nursing assesed? Not in the hospital. I mean, more recently.

How many times a 24 hour day do you typically offer to nurse baby?

how long have bottles been in the picture and how many bottles is baby getting per day and how many ounces a day is baby fed via bottle?

Are you separated from baby regularly due to work or school? Or are bottles given only when baby won't nurse well?

How many ounces will baby take from a bottle at a time?

Have bottles been given in a breastfeeding supportive way? Like this-
    -bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Have you tried breast compressions to help keep baby nursing longer? Switching sides?

have you tried increasing frequency of nursing rather than offering bottles if one feeding seems 'too short?'

When baby is upset, Have you tried giving baby a small amount in the bottle and offering the breast again?

Have you tried side lying position? Have you tried laid back positions?

So I decided to take the last one and answer the questions one by one-

Wow that is great you got off the nipple sheilds-just a few days ago? Nope- I actually weaned her a few weeks ago. She was doing well with it most of the time until the last week or so.

what you are seeing in terms of shorter feedings is often typical at this age. But some of what you describe also sounds like what is typically called 'nipple confusion' or 'bottle preference.' So, I have some questions.

Is baby gaining well exclusively pretty much on what you produce daily? Or is baby being supplemented with formula, or donor milk, or milk you pumped in the 'past?' In other words, do you have any reason to suspect low milk production? SHe is gaining really well- Shes almost 15 lbs. Dr is really happy with her that way. She is supplemented usually half and half. She is drinking about 4 oz every 3 hours. i was producing two every 3 hrs. my midwife prescribed me reglan to help and i went up to 3 to 4 ioz but im on the downward side of that now so its going back down again.I am currently pumping when she doesn't latch ( the measurements from above are from when I pump without her feeding. I had returned to work and I can only pump twice in a 9 hour day. and one of those is on my lunch hour) and yes I do have low milk production. I am currently taking 4 fenugreek 3 times a day as well as blessed thisel 3 or 4 capsules 3 times a day and when I have it goats rue, I was taking a tincture of about 1 ml 3 times a day.

Were you and baby ever seen by an IBCLC to have latch and nursing assesed? Not in the hospital. I mean, more recently. My closest IBCLC is 4 hours away from me. I have talked to her on the phone and she gave me some pointers on pumping and the ideas for the supplements above. Its been awhile since we've talked. Also my Closses LLL meeting is 2 hours away (I live in the middle of no where about 1 hr southwest of Jamestown, NY). I also have no paid time left to take from work until next year. Had to use it all until my disability kicked in during maternity leave. So I cant just take a day off here and there and just go either.

How many times a 24 hour day do you typically offer to nurse baby? Monday through friday about 3 to four times (depending on when she goes to sleep for the night, which is typically between 10 and midnight) on the weekends (when I dont have to work a half day on Saturday) every 2.5 hours after 7 or 8 am (when she wakes up) til she goes to sleep. so 7 to 8 timesish?

how long have bottles been in the picture and how many bottles is baby getting per day and how many ounces a day is baby fed via bottle? shes been getting them everyday since she was two weeks. she hit that growth spurt and wanted more than 2 oz at a feeding and with the shield hindering my supply one day she cried and cried and cried becasue she was hungry and I broke down and gave her formula becuase I had nothing else to give her. plus I wanted her to be fed. at that time her doctor was worried about her weight gain as well. She did not regain her birth weight in 2 weeks. She gets 3 bottles during the day when Im not working. She was using the avent bottles that go with my pump but I switched her to breastflow bottles (which is when she started latching on me without the shield). She eats four oz of them when she doesnt feed of me at all. although when she does have difficulty latching and i know shes starving and I can't calm her down I'll feed her 2 oz then if she still seems hungry I'll feed her another oz. depending on how long she feeds if at all. I try to only supplemnt with my own pumped breastmilk if I can, but since I have to have at least 4 bottles prepared for the next day the night before, sometimes she gets formula. I always send an extra bottle to the sitters in case she hits a growth spurt and wants to through in an extra feeding. Which she has never needed.

Are you separated from baby regularly due to work or school? Or are bottles given only when baby won't nurse well? yes and yes- I hit this one pretty good already

How many ounces will baby take from a bottle at a time? as many as I will give her. no more than 4.

Have bottles been given in a breastfeeding supportive way? Like this-
    -bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

I'll have to watch those and get back to you

Have you tried breast compressions to help keep baby nursing longer? Switching sides? when I do anything other than just pray she feeds she delatches. Although I did have some success this afternoon with softly whispering "sush sush" telling her it was aok and lightly stroking her forehead, that seams to calm her enough to feed for a little while. Later I will have to try the sushing stroking and compressions, if I can. Switching sides makes it worse. I use the football hold most of the time, and by the time I fix my shirt pick her up, unfix the shirt on the other side, move the pillow, shes super upset.

have you tried increasing frequency of nursing rather than offering bottles if one feeding seems 'too short?' The one successful feeding we had today, she wanted to eat 2 hours later insted of 3. but since I had no warning she was getting hungry (shes teething so shes constantely sucking on her hands) She ended up with a bottle at that feeding, We were at my mother in laws, she was in a strange place, and she wouldn't calm down. When we got home she fed again well on the right side but wouldn't take the left. she ate 2 oz afterwords in a bottle. Side note here: She hates my left side. it comes out much slower than the right and the letdown takes twice as long. I've been trying to witch sides to get her to start feeding on right or left, but if she gets really upset on the left becuase its not what she wants then I can't get her to eat from the right either. and if shes crying, I get too tense for my letdown to happen if I pump.

When baby is upset, Have you tried giving baby a small amount in the bottle and offering the breast again? Yes, and she screamed until we got the bottle back. I don't let her cry too longbecuase I don't want her turned off from it all together.

Have you tried side lying position? Have you tried laid back positions? yes. if shes half asleep in our bed (usually only for a nap here and there) I can get her to drink for awhiel there. she used to eat laid back because my letdown used to almost choke her when my milk first came in, but now shes so long and she hates being on her belly. She tries to roll over onto her back to get off of it. Ive tried the cradle position, but I dont have enough hands for it. I've used a ring sling, but I can't always get her positioned in it right fast enough.

Hopefully I answered the questions in the first post with this one.

and no we are not paced bottle feeding. my husband watched that with me, and we are going to start doing that. I will also have a talk with my sitter and have her do this as well. Thank you for the links and everything!!!

Will she take a pacifier? What worked for my son during his 4 mo nursing strike was using the pacifier to get him to sleep at nap and bedtimes, then switching it out with the breast. It's just a thought.