Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLW started but scared myself already :-(

Default BLW started but scared myself already :-(

I've read the books, asked questions on here and started this week when my little boy turned 6 months old... But he doesn't seem interested? He will suck on a Farleys Rusk but when he bit some off and swallowed it his eyes went red and he went totally silent and I thought my god is he choking on it!?! But it seemed to pass and he was fine but now I'm too scared to carry on :-(

I've offered cucumber, banana and he doesn't want those, and toast (which he sucks) but again I'm too scared to let him swallow it!!

Need reassurance!!! X

Default Re: BLW started but scared myself already :-(

there's no reason to rush it. the beauty of blw to me was that i did almost exactly nothing for it. when we ate something ds wanted, i let him try it. that's all. at 6 months there is no reaason at all yours needs to be swallowing any food. under one, just for fun. don't psych yourself out!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If he's not interested he is not ready and that is entirely normal. I know the book shows 6 month olds happlily chomping away. But every baby is different. I never even offered with my last two until they were over 7 months.

I am not clear on what a rusk is but Bread is a choking hazard. I did toast too, but you do want to be really watching with that. I toasted it pretty hard, cut thin spears and baby sucked it. If she got a peice off I thought was too big I dug it out of her mouth.

my oldest was 5 1/2 months and loved baby cereal. My middle hated any and all food until near 10 months, and then wanted to feed herself. This time around, baby boy at 6 months isn't at all interested in finger foods. he has sucked on a banana and had some mashed avocado and a few spoons of baby food. Just going slow and following his lead.

hang in there, in no time you will have an eater on your hands!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Thanks ladies. Think I will try a bit of porridge as he watches me like a hawk eating my cereal in the morning! X

You have nothing to be concerned about here. That's the beauty of this method- you're letting your baby lead the way so baby eats what they are ready for when they are ready for it. if that means the only play with the food on their tray for the first few months, that's okay.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous