Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up a lot suddenly & watery stools - thoughts???

Question Spitting up a lot suddenly & watery stools - thoughts???

Hey ladies,
    Question, my DD is 9 weeks old, here lately, she's been spitting up a lot. I seem to be pumping a decent amount at work and in 3 days, I will be a full time SAHM and exclusively BFing. When I'm not at work, I exclusively BF but DD seems to be soaking her clothes lately with spit up, she's refusing the breast often and tonight, her stool was practically yellow water. She's been leaking out of her diapers a lot too but I'm assuming that's because she's out growing her size 1, I mean, she's a healthy chunky monkey At her 2 month appt., she was 13 lbs, 15.5 oz (95-98%).

I'm not sure if it's something I'm eating that's making her this way or if it's a little something that's just upsetting her stomach that's not me, but the spit up has little white chunks and other times it's just watery (clear).

I would appreciate any input to help get DD happy. We've had a rough time since birth and this breaks my heart to think it might be something I'm doing.

She also has a pretty hard time burping....

I'm at a loss - I know all kiddos are different and I can't remember these issues w/ my first but like I just said too, all are different.....

Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Spitting up a lot suddenly & watery stools - thoughts???

Spit-up is not a sign of you doing something wrong. It's just a normal part of babyhood. The muscle sphincters which keep stomach contents down where they belong- those sphincters are weak in a new baby, just like the rest of her muscles. And just like the rest of her muscles, the sphincters will gain strength and get better at doing what they are supposed to do.

It's not too surprising that you don't remember this from baby #1. Spitting up varies from baby to baby. You can have one baby who never spits up and one who is constantly covered in it.

Spit-up consistency varies based on how long it has been since baby last fed. Spit-up that happens right after a feeding is generally milky and thin. Spit-up that comes after the milk has been in baby's tummy for a while is generally chunky/cheesy, because the stomach acids have caused the milk proteins to clump together into curds.

Don't worry about baby not being easy to burp. Breastfed babies generally take in less air than their bottlefed peers, and may not need a burping after eating. And a lot of babies prefer to let their gas out of the bottom end of their digestive system rather than the top.

How would you rate your milk supply this time around? The combination of watery poops, lots of spit-up, and good weight gain can sometimes be facets of oversupply. But they're not health problems- just laundry problems.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The whole burping thing has me wondering if it's normal for it to be hard for her to burp because she arches her back, shifts from side to side and sometimes whines-screams until it comes out. I do accept that there will be times where she just doesn't need to burp.

As far as my supply, I've been told is really good, I can typically pump at least 5-6 oz total, sometime 7-8. DD sometimes chokes and coughs when nursing particularly on one side
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

That's quite a lot of milk. Have you tried reclining while feeding? Reclined positions enlist gravity to slow milk flow to the baby. That can make nursing more comfortable for her and sometimes reduce spit-ups- when baby is more in control of her feedings, she's probably not going to swallow quite as much air and may take in a slightly smaller feeding (on average).

Back-arching and fussing while burping can sometimes indicate reflux, but in a baby who is gaining really well I think it's probably benign.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried reclining but couldn't get comfortable with it, especially when I was trying to get DD to get a better latch but I'm thinking now in a few days since I'll be at home I might experiment more, latch still isn't the best but we're still working on it
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"