Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Running out if milk??? I'm so nervous

Default Running out if milk??? I'm so nervous

I was feeding my baby and after 15 minutes she fusses so I switch back an fourth switching sides. But she only last a few minutes. Then it got to the point where neither side was working so I tried expressing some and there really is hardly anything coming out I'm panicking a little I want to nurse my baby but what's happening

Default Re: Running out if milk??? I'm so nervous

Your baby is probably having a growth spurt. Even if you can't express any milk at all, your breasts are continuously producing milk and your baby will get that new milk when they nurse. Your supply will increase in response to the nursing while "empty".

Just because you can't get milk out, that doesn't mean your baby can't. Most women are not able to hand express or pump as much milk as the baby can extract by sucking.

Just keep switching her back and forth and watch her diaper output. As long as she's continuing to wet enough diapers in a 24 hour period, she is getting enough to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

After 5 minutes on one side she's fussy. Also I have my period which I just to a lll leader on the phone and she said its extremely rare to have my period while nursing. So she suggested calcium and magnesium and also take 3 fenugreek pills 3 times a day for 5 days and see if my milk increases. I'm getting depressed. I feel like I've been depriving my baby. It'd my job to nourish her and it seems like I'm failing at doing so

The LLL leader was incorrect about your period. It is not "extremely rare" to have a cycle while nursing. A significant number of mothers will get their periods back within a few weeks or months of birth even if they follow all the rules of ecological breastfeeding (i.e. no supplements, no solids, no bottles or pacifiers, baby sleeps with mom and never goes >6 hours without nursing).

The LLL leader did give you good advice about the supplements. The calcium, magnesium, and fenugreek are all things that can't hurt and may help. In addition, you might want to eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday day- that's another thing that can't hurt and may help.

Is there any reason aside from the fussiness that you are concerned about supply?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How many days post partum did you get your period? is it obviously a period and not spotting? How long did your post partum lochia (bleeding) last? Are you on hormone based birth control?

You are seeing an IBCLC in a couple days, right? I think with the slow gain you have reported on other threads and the period so early it would be worth talking to your IBCLC about possible hormonal issues. (yes some breastfeeding mothers get thier periods back quickly and it is not neccesarily an issue, in other cases it indicates a hormonal issue.)

I haven't seen your other threads so I may be missing some info but I would say that cluster feeding is very, very normal. Just keep feeding the baby. Sometimes they fuss, that's okay! You ARE making milk continuously, so even when your breasts seem to you to be completely empty from feeding, your baby can still get some milk. The best thing is to let her nurse as much as she wants. This is what will increase your supply! As long as wet diapers and weight gain are okay I think you have nothing to worry about...if weight gain is NOT okay, then you may in fact have a problem and not just normal newborn nursing behavior. But many babies want to nurse nonstop as newborns, and many are fussy at the breast; in and of itself that doesn't mean there is a problem.

Also make sure YOU are drinking enough water and eating enough, this will help your supply, along with oatmeal and fenugreek, etc. You don't need to drink gallons of water a day, just make sure you are staying decently hydrated so your pee is light yellow or clear.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!