Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD's weaning story

Default DD's weaning story

DD turned 3 in July. I had managed to gradually drop her down to nursing only once a day a little while before her birthday. She remained very attached to this morning session for several months. She would nurse while I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and then she was done for the rest of the day. If I sang too fast or skipped even a single word, she would have a fit. I would try to talk about weaning on occasion, but she clearly wanted no part of it. She loved nursing and would tell me, "you are the best mommy in the world, I love nursies" after each session.

Two weeks ago I talked to her about weaning again. I asked her, "when do you think you will stop nursing?" Her answer was, "when I am a grown-up." I then pointed out that her older brother, who is 5, doesn't nurse and that she will probably want to stop sometime before she was an adult. In my mind I was seriously hoping that was true. Her answer was an emphatic, "nope, I love nursies!" I resigned myself to nursing for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Then suddenly two days after her declaration she made another one. She finished her breakfast at the table and then announced to everyone that she was now a big girl and, "did not need to nurse anymore." That was it. She has not nursed since. She is a self determined little girl and weaned herself when she felt it was time.

I love my girl. I love her spunk and attitude. I loved nursing her for over three years. I also love how she weaned. I am not sad about her weaning and am fully at peace with her decision.

Default Re: DD's weaning story

Makes me smile mama! And melts my heart all at the same time
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Awesome! Sounds like she's a pretty decisive little person. You handled everything really well, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Awesome! Sounds like she's a pretty decisive little person. You handled everything really well, mama!
    Decisive, determined and opinionated. Sometimes it is blessing, other times not so much....