Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving up the scale

Default Giving up the scale

I have to return my baby 2g sensitive scale in a week. I've been using it for ac pc wts and feel really lost without it. I struggle telling if my babies are full vs just got sleepy at an empty breast. When I have more milk, like during the night, it's easy but in the evenings or just during the day, it's very hard. Any tips on sleepy vs full and happy baby? So nervous!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Giving up the scale

but they've been gaining & nursing really well the last couple weeks, right? so this will give you some freedom from the constant weighing!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My advice? Let go. Trust in your body, trust your babies. I know it's hard. I kept the scale for maybe a month past the time when I needed to use it. I just felt safer having it in the house. But then my LC called and said she needed it back, for another mom who needed to use it... I finally realized that it was okay to let it go. It was a crutch, at that point. Not a necessary tool.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know, it just feels intimidating. Is my baby crying bc he's still hungry or is it gas at the end of a nursing session?

They've been gaining well, frankly, since 1 week old. They're 12 wks tomorrow. It might be extra scary for me since just 2 wks ago I gave up pumping so my nursing life has been very numbers oriented. My supply is still low but hasn't dropped. So crazy I nursed over 3 yrs but have no concept of normal breastfeeding.

just another one of those "goodbye"s i've written about here...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

but I guess it's a good goodbye although I'm paranoid it will make me nurse less at night if they haven't had enough and I can't tell and kill my supply.

In that case, I think the best thing you can do is to just offer the breast whenever you're starting to doubt. I know it's got to be tough with 2 babies and an older kid in the mix... But the best way to make enough is to nurse as much as possible. Babies seems hungry after nursing? Nurse some more.

It might help to contact your local babywearing group and see if you can find a way to wear and nurse both babies- or maybe primarily the smaller twin? More nursing opportunities = better supply. I remember reading about an enthographic study of breastfeeding in a "primitive" agricultural society where the women wore their babies. The babies tended to nurse every 17 minutes (on average).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah it's mostly when they're sleepy. Like early this a.m. my little guy got 16 ccs. Put him back on. 40 ccs, back on again til he got to 58 and I called it good. And I nursed my big guy from 330-510 off and on (he and his bro took turns) till he got to 94. If I had stopped after the first time he de-latched he would have just gotten 40 ccs. So in the end they got 5 oz together vs 2.5. It's just hard.

I have 2 Beccos (well, DH and I each have one) and 2 moby wraps. I am always either nursing or wearing a baby and we co-sleep. I am really trying to get them to learn that at night they can just snack all night long because bottle feeding unfortunately really taught them to just eat every 3-4 hrs at night. I know most moms would be thrilled but I'd rather they keep my supply up and nurse all night long while I sleep.

but you can do that without the scale - just keep putting them back on until they won't take any more.

oh, coincidentally, jack newman's post on fb just now was about how he doesn't like the pre/post feed weighs in general .... feels like they can be misleading and wants people to watch for latch & swallow.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Yep, I saw that. Ha, perfect timing. I know...he wrote me that, too, when I emailed him.