Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 day old, engorged + 2.5 year old nursling HELP!

Default 5 day old, engorged + 2.5 year old nursling HELP!

I need help, I have a 5 day old DD who is a champ at the breast, she poops and pees great so I know she's getting enough. I had her via ceasarean b/c she was breech, but latched and fed right away. She is also a champ sleeper, something my first was not so in a way i'm thankful, but also becoming a little nervous b/c I am engorged. I've learned theres no waking her to feed, she's clear that she'll eat when SHE'S ready At night is the longest stretches, 4 hours, she sleeps w/ me maybe 1/2 the time.
    Here's the monkey wrench, I have a 2.5 year old who never stopped nursing despite me loosing milk around 20 weeks, I truly didn't mind as I welcomed doing double for his nutritional development, + he needs the comfort. So from beginning he's been on the breast too getting the milk and I thought it would be helping my engorgement not contributing???
    Any advice, input wisdom? I don't want to pump to add an additional output, but don't want to get into trouble with the hard full breasts
    Happy to be back, there's always new questions!!!
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Default Re: 5 day old, engorged + 2.5 year old nursling HELP!

Welcome back and congrats on the new baby!

I think it's a little early to be anxious about your supply. You have a 5 day old baby- even if you were just nursing one baby, you'd be very likely to have some engorgement at this point. Give your supply a chance to settle down on its own, as your hormones level out. And keep on nursing the toddler- it's likely that his nursing really is helping you because having a baby who is a "good" sleeper isn't something that's super friendly to dealing with engorgement. I don't see a need to pump if your toddler is there to relieve you when the engorgement gets bad- unless he's not able to drain the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, I will chill out, no he's not draining the breast at this point.

Is he (your older baby) getting any milk when he nurses? As long as he's getting some, he's helping to maintain flow through the breast. Engorgement is really most problematic when the milk is not being removed. As long as some milk is going out, it's unlikely that you're going to get stuck with plugs and mastitis.

Are you taking a good probiotic? I am guessing that you're on antibiotics after the c-section, and that can predispose you to getting thrush. A probiotic may help you avoid thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"